Aperture - Upgrading from trial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Am I being really thick?

I downloaded the 30 day trial version of Aperture 1.5 and I got the trial serial number from Apple which I entered when I installed it and everything is fine.

I'm 98% certain I'm going to buy it but I want to start building my library and keywording all my photos etc in the mean time to make sure it's exactly what I'm after, but here is the question.

According to the Aperture Trial download page if I decide to buy it during or after my trial period has expired I will be sent a new serial number to turn it into the full version (just minus tutorials etc). Now, like I say, maybe I'm being thick, but I can't see anywhere to enter in a new serial number so how would I be able to enter the new number if I buy it?

What I don't want to do is spend the next few days cataloguing several thousand photos only to have to re-install Aperture when I buy it and have to do it all over again - that would be really, really dull!

So does anyone know where you enter the new serial number/what happens when you upgrade from the trial?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Firstly, when your trial runs out you will be prompted to enter a new serial. So no worries there.

Secondly, if you do need to for some reason reinstall Aperture you will not lose anything. Your library file is stored separate from the Application (so are your preferences) so if you reinstall the only thing replaced is the actual Application. Everything else is untouched.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news all round then! Thanks very much Ben, looks like I better get to work ;)

Cheers

Reaction score
between aperture and iphoto

Hi Peak...

How is it going with Aperture?... I still a newei with my MacBook and some time iPhoto drives me nuts, I dont know how to work with a picture (edit it) without inmediately modifying the original.

I also would like to know about Aperture... is it worthy to have both iphoto and aperture?

Thanks

A.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Peak...

How is it going with Aperture?... I still a newei with my MacBook and some time iPhoto drives me nuts, I dont know how to work with a picture (edit it) without inmediately modifying the original.

I also would like to know about Aperture... is it worthy to have both iphoto and aperture?

Thanks

A.

Things are going nicely with Aperture but it is quite a beast of a program with lots to learn to unleash it's full potential but what it does it does very well.

As for whether it's worth using both iphoto and Aperture, well they are two very different programs. Primarily I use Aperture for RAW processing with file managment being a secondary bonus (the other features like slideshows, print mastering and web galleries I don't really need or use) and this alone makes it an essential purchase if all you have is iPhoto IMHO. Personally speaking iPhoto just doesn't suit my needs at all as it's too simplistic and missing key features that I need and use all the time like layers, dodging, burning, curves etc which is why I use Photoshop and still use it even with Aperture (although I use it less often now). If you don't need the extra power of Photoshop then the choice of Aperture v iPhoto becomes a little harder to make. I would choose Aperture over iPhoto if:

1. You can justify the price tag
2. You shoot in RAW the majority of the time
3. You are very particular about your photos want to and are preparred to get the absolute best out of them.

If the answer is yes to these questions, then buy Aperture. If not, keep going with iPhoto

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.