LCD has gone black & white...???

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am using OS 10.3.9 and just had something wierd happen, the LCD has gone black & white. While it's starting up it is in color, and then it loads the desktop in color for about 1 second and then everything goes black and white????

I just installed iCab web browers for Classic (did this for testing purpose for our company) and it didn't work so I deleted it, but I don't know if that install has anything to do with the screen going black and white?

Has anyone seen this or does anyone know how to fix?

Thanks!:(

Reaction score
check your settings in System Prefs>Universal Access>Seeing>Display. Is the "Use grayscale" box checked. This is the only way I know of to make your display GrayScale.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Welcome to the forums!

If it's not exactly black and white, more like a film negative, you can hit Command+Option+CTRL+8 and it should go back to normal.

*The Command key is the key with an Apple logo on it.

IF the screen really is just black and white, check your color settings in System Preferences > Display. Make sure they're set to their defaults.

Also, check in System Preferences under the Universal Access tab. I think it's under the Seeing tab, but there's a check box for Black and White.

EDIT: Sheehan beat me to it, good job. :)

Sometimes a restart helps...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.