Question about exceptions in C++ via Xcode

C

cipher

hi guys,
i'm currently working on my CS degree and have been using Visual C++. I just got an ibook and am using Xcode to create my applications. My question is about using exceptions in programs via Xcode. I created an application that includes some throw exception code in it. Whenever i try to compile and build in Xcode, I get a few errors returned to me. But when I try to compile and build the same exact code in Visual C++ it works perfectly. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I'll post the header files i'm using and the errors returned to me in this thread:

StackException.h file
#include <exception>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

class StackException: public exception //is this inheritance??
{

public:
StackException(const string &message=""): exception(message.c_str())
{

}
};
StackA.h file
#include "StackException.h"
typedef int StackItemType;
const int MAX_STACK = 20;

class Stack
{
public:
Stack();
bool isEmpty() const;
void push(StackItemType newItem) throw(StackException);
void pop() throw(StackException);
void pop(StackItemType &stackTop) throw(StackException);
void getTop(StackItemType &stackTop) const throw(StackException);

private:
char items[MAX_STACK];
int top;
};

Errors when I compile cpp files:
exception:55: error: std::exception::exception()
exception:53: error: candidates are: std::exception::exception(const std::exception&)
StackA.cpp:51: error: declaration of `void Stack::getTop(StackItemType&) const' throws different exceptions
StackA.cpp:27: error: declaration of `void Stack:eek:p()' throws different exceptions
StackA.cpp:38: error: declaration of `void Stack:eek:p(StackItemType&)' throws different exceptions
StackA.cpp:14: error: declaration of `void Stack:ush(int)' throws different exceptions
StackException.h:10: error: no matching function for call to `std::exception::exception(const char*)'
StackA.h:13: error: than previous declaration `void Stack::getTop(StackItemType&) const throw (StackException)'
StackA.h:11: error: than previous declaration `void Stack:eek:p() throw (StackException)'
StackA.h:12: error: than previous declaration `void Stack:eek:p(StackItemType&) throw (StackException)'
StackA.h:10: error: than previous declaration `void Stack:ush(int) throw (StackException)'

Thks....

OP
R

redhotdaddy

Bad C++ compiling in Xcode

Im also getting bad compiling errors when trying to compile C++ written code in XCode.

for example even when I do a g++ compile in terminal, i get the same errors as in Xcode. But the errors seem to be incongruent with C++ programming style. Look at my code followed by the errors. Any suggestions would be monumental!!! I have a C++ programming class and if I can get the C++ compiler to work I would be in heaven.

int main () {
string word[]={"Arizona","walk","government","C++","beach");
int wordsize = sizeof(word)/sizeof(string), i;
for (int j=0;j<wordsize;j++)
cout<<word[j]<<" ";
cout << endln;
//now pass each word to numberVowels
for (i=0;i<wordsize;i++)
{
cout<<word<<": ",,numberVowels(word)<<" vowels"<<endl;
firstLast(word);
}
return 0;
}

-----

main.cpp: In function `int main()':
main.cpp:12: error: parse error before `)' token
main.cpp:13: error: `i' undeclared (first use this function)

the latter errors seem to be errors that wouldnt be flagged in a C++ compiler. Am I wrong?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is what I see. First you defined the type of j efore using it, but not i. Second the following statement is unbalanced:

string word[]={"Arizona","walk","government","C++","beach");

If you count the number of brackets verses parentheses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.