Can an iMac work with Microsoft Internet Explorer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
I am a flight attendant with a major airline and must often access my schedule online. I am able to sign on and accomplish some things BUT when I attempt to do other things I keep getting this message: "The internet browser that you are using (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418.9.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3) is incompatible with this application. Please install Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 5.5 or higher." Is there a "special" download for Mac or do I just simply download from Microsoft like I used to do on my old PC?

Many thanks,
Carleen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Before you install the trash we call Internet Explorer download Deeper and use it to enable the Debug menu in Safari. Then from inside Safari go Debug > User Agent > and select MSIE 6.0. Usually the browser will support what ever the website wants to do (the website just doesn't know it). By selecting the User Agent you are fooling the website into thinking you are in fact running Internet Explorer

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
Thanks Sobe and Benjamindaines BUT IE is no longer available for download!!! Duh. Any other ideas?

Carleen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'd suggest you...
Before you install the trash we call Internet Explorer download Deeper and use it to enable the Debug menu in Safari. Then from inside Safari go Debug > User Agent > and select MSIE 6.0. Usually the browser will support what ever the website wants to do (the website just doesn't know it). By selecting the User Agent you are fooling the website into thinking you are in fact running Internet Explorer
:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'll second BenjaminDaines idea - use Deeper to change the text that Safari sends to websites to fool them into thinking you're using Internet Explorer. It'll almost certainly work unless your site needs ActiveX controls (you can find out by asking the administrators, if it is a work site). If that's the case, you may need a Windows installation to use it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I really don't like it as a browser, but then I don't like Safari as a browser (which is why I use Firefox) but doesnt Opera emulate other browsers without the need for any other software, you just select the browser you want to emulate from a drop down list IIRC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Internet Explorer for Mac has been discontinued and is unavailable for download.

Reaction score
Anyone tried Opera ? It is often able to deal with the sites Firefox and others can't and there is no IE fr Mac now. As it is free it has to be worth a try.

Oh, and complain to the site that doesn't work with your current browser. Even banks sort things out if people complain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Yep I use Opera for a lot of things. It's Norwegian BTW
Carleen you may want to try Crossover
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/
You can run windows programs without windows

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.