I already have a Cingular contract.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 120 GB, 2 GB RAM, Superdrive
I'm looking to get an iPhone this summer, and my contract with Cingular won't be up until about this time next year. Will they even sell me an iPhone? I know that they can be downright bloodthirsty, I'm fearing that they may tell me to cancel my current contract (at the cost of ~$200) and get a new one just to get the iPhone. That's something I'm simply not going to do. Basically, I have to buy the iPhone outright if I want to get it any time in the near future, do you guys think Cingular will sell it to me?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If it is like Verizon. They should just sell you the phone. If you want a break on the phone, then you may need to extend your contract.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm looking to get an iPhone this summer, and my contract with Cingular won't be up until about this time next year. Will they even sell me an iPhone? ... do you guys think Cingular will sell it to me?
Have you tired calling Cingular about it? Realistically, they are the only ones who would be able to answer that for you.
Seeing that the iPhone has not even been released yet, I doubt that anyone, even Cingular is going to be able to answer your question. Settle back and wait until it is actually available for order, then call Cingular.
Patience is a virtue.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Agreed, nobody will be able to answer that until the release. If they follow their own past, they should sell it outright since they do any other phone they carry. However, considering the purchase price of most phone compared to plan price, I'm scared to even guess what the purchase price would be. You might be able to pick a brand new MBP cheaper!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I don't think they are gonna charge you the cancellation fee. I'm pretty sure that only applies to those leaving Cingular altogether. The worst that will probably happen is you have the sign a new contract or extend your contract.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig
You may be able to upgrade to the iPhone via your login. You probably won't get a discount unless it's contract extension time as well, but you should be able to upgrade to that phone fairly cheaply to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
you can buy a new phone any time you want within your contract, but every time your contract needs to be renewed (1 or 2 years) you get a phone "upgrade" that is when you get the discount price.

or if you buy your first contract, of course.

You will be able to by the iPhone no problem, just not the discounted price.

(so im assuming, that is how every other phone has ever been. :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I sell Cingular where I work and you would be able to get an iPhone but it'd cost even more. If you've had your contract for a year, then you should get about a $75 discount off the FULL price of the phone. You'll only get that discount, however, if you extend your contract for two years from the day you purchase your iPhone. Note that the discount is off the FULL UNACTIVATED PRICE and not the new 2 year agreement price. So, yes you can get it, but it may end up costing you an arm and a leg.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.