Firmware updates Intel MAC MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Help....Just got the new MBP and did the usual software updates. At the end I got a firmware update message. Read the instruction and followed what I expected to be an easy update. The mac is now going through a constant cycle like it is trying to load a cd...

I did what was asked in the update and when nothing seemed to be happening turned off the power button then re powered. Again the same problem....any ideas. The Apple site was not much help...I am on a window PC trying to find a fix at the moment.

If I have to start from scratch how do I do a reinstall on a MAC....?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
There was a new release that I updated last night - it did take a little while to restart, but I just waited and everything is fine. Are you sure you need to reinstall? How long did you wait?

If you really do need to reinstall you can do so with your OS/X cd.

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was a new release that I updated last night - it did take a little while to restart, but I just waited and everything is fine. Are you sure you need to reinstall? How long did you wait?

If you really do need to reinstall you can do so with your OS/X cd.

It is still doing nothing.

How do I reinstall?? I am VERY new to Macs

Reaction score
MaDDoG,

Here are some steps you can try:

Press C during startup Start up from a bootable CD or DVD, such as the Mac OS X Install disc that came with the computer. You can repair Permissions/Hard Disc from the Disc Utility on the DVD.

Press D during startup Start up in Apple Hardware Test (AHT), if the Install DVD 1 is in the computer.

Press Option-Command-P-R until you hear two beeps. Reset NVRAM

See if any of these help you get your MBP going again.

M

MacHeadCase

Hey MDDG! If you have DiskWarrior, run it now, this would prolly save you.

Edited to add:

Doh! Pulse replied before I did... Try what Pulse suggests. If not, think about getting DiskWarrior, it does a great job and saves the day all the time.

*Hiya Pulse, btw! Tip o' the hat to you, sir!*

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The poor thing is sitting there clicking like it is trying to read a cd that is not in the drive.

If I do a fresh reinstall do I put the CD/DVD in and the power off then on again or do I need to push C or similar at the same time as it reboots? I am very disenchanted in new pride and joy.

Reaction score
MDDG, did you wait till your MBP powered down then press the power button to launch the firmware updater?

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDDG, did you wait till your MBP powered down then press the power button to launch the firmware updater?

I'm pretty sure I did....but after power on nothing seemed to happening so I powered off again

M

MacHeadCase

Clicking? Could this be a hard drive failure about to happen? Run the Hardware Test right now. Run it in Extended Mode.

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clicking? Could this be a hard drive failure about to happen? Run the Hardware Test right now. Run it in Extended Mode.

I'm new at MAc and thats greek to me......

Reaction score
Power off, pop the DVD in, then press the power button and when you hear the chime - it's time to press the 'C' key. Check your permissions/hard disc using Disc Utility first before we think of any reinstallation.

Hi MHC!

Reaction score
Put DVD 1 in the drive, start up and press/hold 'D' at the chime ... forget my above post for now...

)Apologies, MDDG & MHC for clash-postings(

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not reading the DVD at all.....and all I get is black screen and clicking noise when the dvd is out, and no clicking noise and black screen when it is in.

I have a huge day tomorrow and have to be up at 5am so I have about had it tonight thanks guys.

Reaction score
If you can only get your MBP going somehow, you could delete the firmware update then things may return to normal, though that clicking is worrying ... drop it into your AppleStore and they may be able to fix it quickly ...

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks....I am packing up and putting back in the box at the moment. See what a new day brings.

Thanx guys n gals

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well nothing I could think of or find on the net helped me. The Mac Book Pro still lies dormant. Today I took it into the local dealer (not the one I bought it from but one closer to work) and they rang me back to say the the main board was faulty. Take it back to the dealer you purchased it from and because it is less than 10 days old Apple will replace it. I'm hoping with a core 2 duo as there were only a couple of core duo's left in Australia when I bought mine.
So anyway I am happy yet disappointed.....when I get the new new one home and it works without a hitch...then I will be happy. For a while there I began to feel like Microsoft and Windows weren't so bad after all.

M

MacHeadCase

Sorry to hear about that MDDG. But at least you'll be getting a brand new shiny MBP out of this. Hope you had a chance to backup your stuff?

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear about that MDDG. But at least you'll be getting a brand new shiny MBP out of this. Hope you had a chance to backup your stuff?

MHC...I didn't have it long enough to put "stuff" on....:eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.