?udp?

Reaction score
I'm currently living in a house with 20 other people (it's a big house) and we all share the same router. The wireless having been broken and us being too poor to replace it, we've been having to plug into the wall. The house manager tries to limit certain programs and downloads and whatnot so we don't kill another router, by setting limits to the UDP. All of the windows computers in the house can go on-line with no problems without having to exceed the 5000 port (or so), but the macs won't work unless all the ports up to at least 60000 are open. Does anybody have a clue on how to change this, or at least allow internet access below the 60000 port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
When you say that the Macs won't work, what do you mean? You can't browse web sites? Some other online activity?

OP
H
Reaction score
I mean we get no internet access whatsoever. No web-browsing, e-mail, instant messaging, etc., while all these are still available to the PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'm not entirely sure what your original problem is. UDP is a protocol used for various things, but TCP is a more common protocol. Web pages, for example, are transferred via TCP on port 80 (or 443 for secure) so saying you can't get on unless ports 'up to 60000' doesn't really make any sense.

What exactly is the error you are getting? It sounds like you've got your network terminology in a twist.

OP
H
Reaction score
I think its pretty obvious I know little of what I'm saying, but I'll try to be as clear as possible. In the router settings under security, there are 5 different spots where you can select either the UDP, TCP, or both protocols, from a drop-down menu. After picking one of these three options, there limits that you can manually set under the headings: start (blank) to end (blank), typing in the ports to open/close (not sure) in the blanks. Right now, UDP starts at 60000 and ends at 65535, and both are set to start at 1214, and end at 1214 in the line below. My internet will not work if the UDP number is set anywhere below 60000 while the windows computers all work fine. If you're confused reading this, thats only about half as confused as I am typing it.

Reaction score
Umm well happywaffles, I am Cisco certified in networking and what you are saying doesn't make sense. You should remove the numbers below the port range because they are basically useless and may cause problems and offer no purpose. And as long as port 80 is open browsing the internet should work perfectly. I am not sure what type of router you are working with, are you daisy chaining through hubs and then to a small router or, do you have a commercial level router. Basically what i am saying is that ports are NOT! your problem, my guess would be router configuration via DHCP, or outright lack of bandwith, given that 20 people are using the same connection, unless your on some sort of megabandwith

Edit: Let me clarify (usable port range)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.