Expensive Cases

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15' - Ultimate Drive- 100GB hard drive
I went to the Apple store and looked at cases for an ipod nano (2nd gen) And the chepest one is 30 dollars! (Canadian) Which i do not want to pay. My girlfriend wanted one of those Ipod socks. They only come in packs of 6 and we only wanted one. So I went on ebay and I didn't even have to do any hunting. There were hundereds of hits for "ipod socks" 4 of which were ending within an hour. I picked one that cost 2.99 and no one had bid on it yet. And within 10 minutes of logging on to my computer I bought 6 ipod sock cases for 11 Canadian Dollars.

That is 1\4 of the price!

I love my mac and my ipod but those cases are the biggest rip off ever.

I saw an ipod nano case (just a gel covering) for 40 dollars, one case. I mean really, why the huge cost?

Thoughts?

T

todd51

Hmm...I was also wondering today if I should get a case for my nice new iPod Nano....still thinking about it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lime Green iMac G3 64mb ram, 20gb hdd, 400mhz G3 processor
Thats the reason I love the Macs but hate the iPod. Buying an ipod means you buy all the expensive goodies as well. Same goes for the Zune. The two systems don't ven come with wall charges you have to buy that extra. Its a way for Apple and other companies to make more money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
My iPod case was $15.99. Not expensive to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If your getting a silicon case, I'd recommend one of the more expensive ones, as the cheaper ones use a cheap silicon that doesnt last very long.

And stay far away from anything from ExtremeMac, especially the Microshield, that scratched up my iPod nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
What gets on my nerves is when people buy an ipod just to be cool or trendy. I had an ipod before it was the "cool" thing. And I didn't buy it to be cool, I bought it to listen to music. My little cousin bought and iPod, didn't know how to use and she only carried it around to show off that she had one. I sold my old 20GB ipod photo to my mom's friend...it been 4 months and she still doesn't know how to put music on it. She listens to all the stuff I had on it. I think when you buy an ipod you need to have the full experience of it. At least that's how I felt when I bought my 1st ipod, an ipod mini.

Or maybe I'm just crazy? ;)

T

todd51

What gets on my nerves is when people buy an ipod just to be cool or trendy. I had an ipod before it was the "cool" thing. And I didn't buy it to be cool, I bought it to listen to music. My little cousin bought and iPod, didn't know how to use and she only carried it around to show off that she had one. I sold my old 20GB ipod photo to my mom's friend...it been 4 months and she still doesn't know how to put music on it. She listens to all the stuff I had on it. I think when you buy an ipod you need to have the full experience of it. At least that's how I felt when I bought my 1st ipod, an ipod mini.

Or maybe I'm just crazy? ;)

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I used my old 20Gb iPod as an external HD and used it to listen to music in class since some of my classes we were allowed to listen to music while we worked. Now people just buy them with only using them once a month, oh well though, we can't do anything about it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I had my first one in high school, and used it daily, once I got my car, I started using it all the time. Now that I have a direct connection to my stereo, instead of an FM transmitter, I won't listen to anything but my iPod.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow that is a lot of replies in a very small amount of time.

Good stuff.

I got my ipod photo (20GB) when I bought my laptop and I use it for both music and photo's. Loves it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
$30 is a small expense really for something that costs that kind of money. It is like insurance, not required but highly recommended. I am not sure about how durable the Nanos are, but I definitely wouldn't use my 80GB Video without a case. There are a lot of iPod gimmicks out there which are a complete waste of money, but a case is not one of them. Would you consider buying a laptop without a case?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not that it's $30 that i can't afford, it's $30-$40 for something that should cost $10. Plus it was the fact that I couldn't buy just one Ipod sock, i had to buy 6 for 40 dollars. I wouldn't mind buying one sock for 1\6th the price of the 6,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Check out the iPod cases on a site like buy.com. I've bought cases from them for well under $20, plus there are tons of online coupons floating around the 'net.

If you're near an area where CompUSA is closing stores (like they are here in Chicago), all iPod accessories are now 10% off (I know, a lame discount, but there was a lot of stock).

Good luck!

edit: I just noticed you were in Toronto. Sorry... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Lol I bought those iPod socks, $30. It was so embaressing pulling the ipod out of my pocket inside the sock...Id usually get the question "How much did it cost," Im like "Well, in a pack of 6, its only 30$"......My grandma told me to return them and said shell make an iPod sock for me :) LOL

I never use them anymore. Used them for the first 2 months, and now i have no idea where they are....

I have a mini, first iPod ive ever owned, and I love it! I wish they hadnt discontinued it, does anyone know why they did :( ? I personally dont like the Nanos, their too small and light, its like theres nothing in ur hand......

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They made the 2nd generation nano's very similar to the mini's (in shape). They kind of merged the 2 and kept nano as the name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPod 4th and 5th Gen
I bought mine at China Town, New York for a dollar! ...now thats a steal. It may not be the most expensive case out there but it does the job.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright you win for the cheapest case, other than the guy who's grandmother made him a case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPod 4th and 5th Gen
..and who might that be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod 8GB Nano
I was looking into this exact thing. I knew the case I wanted, from the internet, but also wanted to get a cheap case until that came in.

At Fry's they were all $15 or so...up to $20+. I knew the case I wanted was $40....which I am not opposed to. But to spend 1/3 of that for another case...I wasn't about to do that.

The OtterBox case I got is indestructable and waterproof. WELL worth the money for the piece of mind.

Reaction score
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I used my old 20Gb iPod as an external HD and used it to listen to music in class since some of my classes we were allowed to listen to music while we worked. Now people just buy them with only using them once a month, oh well though, we can't do anything about it :)

That's crazy! I have two, and I use one or the other every day.
GOTTA HAVE MY TUNESSS!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.