Prefs always reset to factory

Reaction score
I have a new-to-me iMac G3. I'm running 10.3.9 successfully, however every time I restart, the preferences reset back to factory settings. I can install updates & software, but I have to set it up each time I turn the thing on. If I change the desktop i.e. wall paper, it reverts back to the standard blue.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Mine does the same thing, only the time is set back to 1969 when I unplug it from the wall... Anyone have any ideas?

It could be the battery, if they have one.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
This site is your best bet:

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/catalog/

They have repair instructions for almost everything.

Edited to Add:

Except the iMac range!

Strangely I've tried looking around for instructions/guide for the iMac and they seem to have disappeared, I know they used to exist because I had to repair an eMac and used a guide from somewhere that also had the iMac ones.

Hmmm.

Anyhow you are probably correct in suspecting a battery replacement is in order and a few sites do list replacement parts for sale.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
You can pick that battery up at Radio Shack as well. Should be lke $8. I had to replace the one in my G3 iMac about 6 months ago. I cant remember if the battery is accessable from the door on the bottom that lets you access ram or not. if it is not then you need to pull the back case off. pulling that case off is somewhat of a chore but the battery should be pretty easy to find once it is off. (looks like a AAA that got squished) ((also it might be purple))

OP
S
Reaction score
OK!!.. i spent $35 on a battery..... it is still not saving my preferences.. it saved the time though... What do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Have you renamed your home folder? See the sig....

OP
S
Reaction score
i fixed it myself... i reformated it and that took care of everything,, settings keep and so does time and date :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, I was ripped off for the battery...oh well, I know for the next time. The local Mac dealer in my area charged me $35 for the battery. They are notorious for over-charging people. I should have known not to go there. My fault.

I fixed my problem anyway. I've installed Tiger and everything is working wonderfully. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.