Eject button does not work after 10.4.9 update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
For some reason the eject button at the top right of the keyboard stopped working after I updated...I can still eject from the finder but I'd rather use the button since I'm used to it. I tried repairing permissions. Does anyone have an idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
According to the highly critical individuals on the MacNN forums, 10.4.9 introduced a delay to the eject button on the keyboard to prevent accidental ejection of a CD/DVD from fat-fingering it. Some really hate it.

In other words - try holding it down for about a second.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
oh wow, you're right! it works. hmm.....i can't tell if i like this...are we allowed to choose? this will take some getting used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You know, I had this problem earlier. I had to manually eject the CD but totally forgot about it. Thanks for the tip walker!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD
Yeah, I was having the same problem until I realized you had to hold the eject button. It is kind of annoying though - is it possible to change this setting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Oh, I'm sure there's some kind of .plist somewhere that could be modified to change the behavior or a variant of the 'defaults' command that might do it, but I haven't really looked into it personally.

I look at it as being more consistent with the behavior of an actual eject button on a CD drive on other machines. I have to depress the eject button for a few seconds on the physical drives of many machines I maintain at work, so this behavior isn't really all that different. I suppose it's just not 'Mac-like'. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
I discovered this too, and noticed when I held it down for about 1 second it would open the drawer of the drive. It will take about a week to get used to it. It doesn't really bother me, but I never had a problem with accidentally ejecting discs before. There probably should be an option to allow the user to set immediate eject if they like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Well, for those of us without Apple Keyboards, we ALWAYS have to use the Finder. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
theres a new release? I like the sound of the delay on the eject button because I'm one of those people that hits the eject button instead of delete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Reaction score
I like this. I accidentally hit the eject button a lot. Sometimes when I try to hit the f12 key I am not paying attention and hit that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally like it too. I've found myself accidently hitting the Eject button and then it makes that noise, which can be a bit embarrassing when in a very quiet classroom :bomb:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks so much walkerj. Lots of people probably think it's broken and 10.4.9 messed it all up so thanks for clearing that up.

I personally like it as I have hit the Eject a few times by accident real fast and now it will not spit the disc out of I do! Good Job Walkerj and Apple!!1

Reaction score
I personally like it too. I've found myself accidently hitting the Eject button and then it makes that noise, which can be a bit embarrassing when in a very quiet classroom :bomb:

I like it too. I was always accidentally ejecting disks when i tried to delete. I've also noticed that it no longer makes the eject sound if there isn't a disk in the drive. So you're saved on both count.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I like it aswell, as It was annoying when I use to accidentally his the Eject Button when moving my hand from my mouse to my keyboard and vice versa.

There's another little trick I read if you now press CTRL + Eject...Go on Do it...Yep Wow! I thought that was Handy of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.