Black vs. White Macbook?!?!?!

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a new Macbook (black) Intel Core Duo. However, I was wondering if it was a good idea to upgrade the Ram from 1 gig to 2 gig, instead of upgrading the base Hard Drive from 120 gig to 160. (Because of Monetary limitations) In a nutshell, i have a choice of upgrading the RAM from 1gig to 2 gig OR upgrading the Hard Drive from 120 to 160 and leaving the RAM 1 gig.

*** MOST likely i'll be upgrading the RAM to 2 gig, but most of my friends said i dont need it. 1 gig is already fast enough. Is it true that with a 2 gig RAM speed, 120 Hard Drive space is too small?!?!

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLIED EARILIER...its progressively cleaining things up for me. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
a lot depends on what you plan to use the macbook for.. I personally would go for the HDD.

Reaction score
IMO, Ram > Hard drive space. You can always get an external drive later if you find that 120 is too small. Also, get the fastest RPM you can in the hard drive. 7,200 is great, 5,400 is workable - anything less is going to slow you down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
I upgraded my Macbook from 1gig to 2 gig. To be honest, I saw little if any real difference, but it may depend upon the type of apps you plan to use. I am sure someone will have some helpful input, but you may need to be more specific about your needs.

Neil M.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a new Macbook (black) Intel Core Duo. However, I was wondering if it was a good idea to upgrade the Ram from 1 gig to 2 gig, instead of upgrading the base Hard Drive from 120 gig to 160. (Because of Monetary limitations) In a nutshell, i have a choice of upgrading the RAM from 1gig to 2 gig OR upgrading the Hard Drive from 120 to 160 and leaving the RAM 1 gig.

MOST likely i'll be upgrading the RAM to 2 gig, but most of my friends said i dont need it. 1 gig is already fast enough. Is it true that with a 2 gig RAM speed, 120 Hard Drive space is too small?!?!

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLIED EARILIER...its progressively cleaining things up for me. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You'll actually be saving money if you went with neither. Apple charges way too much for upgrades. I suggest just buying the machine with 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive, and use it normally. If in a couple of weeks you feel like you need more hard drive space or RAM, then buy it and install it yourself. This will save you a ton of money compared to getting Apple to do it.

Plus, if you end up realizing that 1GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive suit you just fine, you just saved yourself from wasting money :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
yea go on newegg, and get both for the price of one from apple

this is my "maximize my funds " theory :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I would increase the ram, and when money is better get an external HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I'd go for the RAM too. You should probably get an external hard drive eventually anyway, so you can avoid a situation like I had to deal with when my hard drive crashed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 13", 2 gb ram, duo core processor 2.32 gHz, 120 gb HDD, 8gb ipod, gala apples are my fave
I opted for the 2 gb ram, and my laptop is FAST. You can always buy an external hard drive (I did, 300 gb baby!) I would go for the ram, personally.

-cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
It all comes down to which one i should get. BLACK OR WHITE...only looking at the looks NOT THE SPECS. (Either way, if i go with white i'll be making the SPECS just like black so dont matter) I Found out to get black, its only $50 more than getting the white with the same 120 gig hd.

I need everyone's opinion on which one looks better and which one you would get. Thanks guys. Unfortunately, i'm not able to go check out the apple store to look at it personally...:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Not that it particularly helps, but my Macbook is white while my wife's is black. I don't covet her black Macbook, but it does look pretty cool.

She thinks (and I kind of agree) that the black border makes the screen look bigger than it is.

What it ultimately came down to when buying the Macbook for my wife was that it matched her iPod. :black: Mine matches my iPod (and external keyboard, and mouse, and connectors, and headphones....)

Some like the white because it's different from other Windows laptops out in the world, which are usually grey, metallic, or even black. Thinkpads are all black, but they still dont' quite have the styling of the Macbook. But then those are an 'ancient' technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
it depends on how much you will clean it . black, i think, looks better, but the finger prints on it are more noticeable. wite would look better if you rarely clean your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
To put it simply:
See white=think Apple
See black= think just about everyone else
Apples motto was "Think Different", then they put out a black macbook that looks pretty much just like every other companies notebook. My wife has a gorgeous piano black hp dv6226us. It is a mighty fine looking machine, but when she took it to school, guess what, everyone else had a black notebook there as well. When taking my white macbook to the bookstore to study, or to chool, I am the only white macbook there. Actualy every now and then I see another white macbook at the bookstore among the sea of black and silver notebooks out there, but not often. I looked at the black macbooks at the store and the computer just looks greasy. The keys looked like they were coated in vegetable oil and that was at 10am after being cleaned overnight. I say go CLASSIC APPLE WHITE!!!

thinkfdfd-BobDylan.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I personally like my black iPod, white MacBook combination. You know what they say "opposites attract" its simple physics.

Jaster, I disagree. Someone in my lecture has a black MacBook and it does definitely not look like any other PC. It definitely attracted a few admirers and I doubt it was the user. The distinctive glowing Apple logo of the back definitely reinforced that this wasn't just any PC, on the black the Apple logo stands out a lot more as well.

MacBook Pros I am still unconvinced about. They don't have the "wow" factor as the standard MacBook's do, very silver and ordinary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
You will only notice any difference in 2GB of RAM if you have a lot of apps open at the same time, I doubt you would notice quicker boot times etc. It all depends on your needs.

I agree that even 120GB is too small these days and is one of the downfalls of the MacBook. You could probably get a larger external drive for less than the price of a 160GB SATA Drive. If you don't fancy carrying an external drive everywhere with you, then obviously the 160GB is more suited to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I agree with slash, the glowing logo still makes the black Macbook stand out from the crowd but not as much as the White does. But then maybe that's not what you want in a laptop anyway - I manage to stand out all by myself *Grins*

Anyway, as I've said before, I would have definitely gone for the black had it been glossy and not matte - way too many fingerprints for my liking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/ 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo/ 1 GB RAM
When I finally took the plunge into macs, I went ahead and bought a black macbook, mainly to stand out from everyone else that had a mac. I think the black looks cool and have gotten lots of compliments. My macbook does show finger prints, but it is also easy to clean (I've bought a cleaner from Office Depot and it works great). Personally, the matte finish doesn't bother me (I came from a world of HP computers), so I can't say one way or the other, but the finish certainly does not make it look less cool and the finger prints would probably show up just as well with a glossy finish as with a matte finish due to the black color.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Well, I will admit, the glowing apple on the black background does look pretty cool, but I still stand by the white macbook. I dont see the reasoning behind a company who is famous for thinking outside the box, and whose motto was "Think Different", would then charge EXTRA to have the same common color as everyone else. Glowing apple or not, it is still the fact that you are yet another black notebook in a sea of black notebooks, and you are paying EXTRA for that. Doesn't make any sense to me. Now, when Apple comes out with a sky blue, or candy apple red macbook, then I will consider it. Until that time, I like standing out in the crowd with my white macbook. I like the clean look of the keyboard. I like the fact that I don't have to wipe it down for prints daily, lol. Just one mans opinion though. In the end it is all about personal preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I dont see the reasoning behind a company who is famous for thinking outside the box, and whose motto was "Think Different", would then charge EXTRA to have the same common color as everyone else.

Well with a black Macbook you can take it to work and not stand out too much, I know some would feel the white doesn't exactly look too professional.
I, personally, couldn't care less how professional (In an office sense of the phrase) my white book looks - But then when I have mine at work it isn't for work purposes...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.