Password Protect ONE Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
How do I password protect ONE FOLDER?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
There are myriad applications out there that will do this, check MacUpdate.

Here's one that I've heard good things about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can also use the built-in DISK UTILITY, and make the folder a Password protected Disk Image.

Disc Utility>>>File>>>>New>>>>Disk Image from Folder>>> Find the folder you want to "lock", you'll need to choose the "128" encryption then enter the Password you want to use.

This turns the folder into a .dmg... In order to open it, you/they will need the password.

OP
DoubleCap
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
You can also use the built-in DISK UTILITY, and make the folder a Password protected Disk Image.

Disc Utility>>>File>>>>New>>>>Disk Image from Folder>>> Find the folder you want to "lock", you'll need to choose the "128" encryption then enter the Password you want to use.

This turns the folder into a .dmg... In order to open it, you/they will need the password.

Hi, I tried that. It doesn't ask me for a password. It simply opens it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Hi, I tried that. It doesn't ask me for a password. It simply opens it up.

when u create the image in disk utility, u have to select AES 128bit.

and then itll prompt u to assign a password. u can also have keychain remember it

Reaction score
Another way, sneaky, though hardly the safest (but it's easy), is to hide the folder or document inside an application package.

Right click an app, open it with Show Package Contents and toss in the document or folder.

I created a TextEdit document with the secret but exciting sentence "She sold sea shells down by the sea shore," named the document Sea Shells and put it in the iCal app to see whether Spotlight or the Command/Apple-F search could see it. Neither could (and I re-indexed Spotlight, to make sure).

But the freeware app EasyFind found it when the optional Package Contents was turned on and it searched for the title, Sea Shells.

EasyFind also found it when it searched for the phrase She sold, after I turned on the optional File Contents as well as Package Contents. But if you don't have EasyFind, that doesn't matter. Even if you do, who would think to search for a folder or document in application packages?

It would be safer, though, to use an app that isn't likely to be updated or replaced entirely by a newer version.

Reaction score
when u create the image in disk utility, u have to select AES 128bit.

and then itll prompt u to assign a password. u can also have keychain remember it

i had the same problem. unchecking the 'remember password in keychain' box solves it. i suppose it's because keychain supplies the password automatically, though this is a novice's supposition :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.