Civ 3 or Civ 4 for my Mac Book?

Reaction score
they're pretty much the same price, so which should I get? I read the reviews for both but they're so conflicting that I'm not sure. Will Civ 4 not work on my mac book? I have 1 gb ram, that's all I really know about it. I know, shame shame for not understanding my own machine, but alas, the symantics have never been that interesting to me. And if Civ 4 WILL work, is it a major improvment or a disappointment over Civ 3? Thanks
Theison

:headphone

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
civIV just barely works on my macbook. it runs after telling you it won't run, and you basicallly have to turn off all the animations, sounds, and eye candy. you'll also have much better luck with a small map and few civs. and actually as you progress it gets slower and slower.

you may not have much luck with civIII either since i'm pretty sure it's not a universal binary. it'll probably run, but very slowly and really tax the system.

the macbooks are in a weird place. there are a lot of ppc games that seem like they should run fine but are very slow. and there aren't a lot of universal games that are resource lean enough to run really well in OSX (though some people have gotten some games to work ok). check this thread for more info:

what games are working on your macbook

Reaction score
I got Civ 4 to work with all the settings turned down while in windowed mode. It still crashed every few hrs...either that or all the tile improvements turned black which forced me to restart the game. I have an MBP with 3gb of RAM and it still didnt work out too well...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that's surprising! a macbook pro should handle that just fine. maybe not windowed, but i can't imagine that would make too much difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
the macbooks are in a weird place. there are a lot of ppc games that seem like they should run fine but are very slow. and there aren't a lot of universal games that are resource lean enough to run really well in OSX (though some people have gotten some games to work ok). check this thread for more info:

what games are working on your macbook

That's a good point about the MacBook - I have given up ever gaming on it... but I have a PSP and Xbox360 for that, so not too worried.

OP
T
Reaction score
civ 3 should work on the macbook. They're selling new still, they're not that old. yes, i agree that the macbooks are weird, and i just got mine. searching for games I'D ACTUALLY want to play, it's hard to find ones in that small window. I like strategy stuff, but i'm not interested in any sort of wow games. I loved Caesar on the pc, and civ 2 on the pc, and i like sims. But it's hard finding games around that. I'm considering aoe 2 but I'm not sure if i'll like it. I finally found what appeared to be a perfect game, stronghold, only to discover macsoft doesn't make them anymore and no one's selling it. sigh.

OP
T
Reaction score
yeah there's not. it sux, that looks like a really cool game. no way i'm shelling out for windows though, way too much investment. hopefully somebody it'll put it out eventually, though of course by then our computers will be too fast for it and it'll all be in vain. lol, ok now i'm just whining, but i really want to play some cool games and every one i'm interested in seems to be unavailable

Reaction score
i kno exactly how u feel...i love strategy games like AOE and Civ 3&4 and Sims 2...and Ive gone thru the same thing with not being able to find games that were atleast stable enough to run...XP was my last option and I didnt like having to get a copy of it, but someone on this site directed me to where I can find an OEM copy, which is alot less than a retail version...heres the link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I love Civilization. The only Sid Meir's game I like more is Pirates! I hope they bring that to the Mac.

Its weird games dont run well, you would think with a 2.0GHz and 3GB ram you could run just about anything.

OP
T
Reaction score
i gotta say, that's something great about pcs. i bought old, new, w/e, and I was good to go. With my macbook I'm going insane finding the exact compatabilities. I love the mac as a product, but i want cool games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.