Reinstall programs for Hard Drive upgrade?

Reaction score
I'm not the brightest candle in the drawer here! I've done a search but couldn't pull anything.

I'm upgrading my MacBook from it's 60 gig HD to a 160. I have also bought an external enclosure to put my 60 gig in when it comes out. Once my new 160 is installed can I just copy the old hard drive back to the new one once I have reinstalled OS X? Will it overwrite programs that have plug-ins etc?

One of my friends mentioned that I'd have to reinstall EVERY program that I've added that didn't come with the computer but I can't imagine Mac making it that difficult. Thanks for any tips!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You'll need something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable copy of your hard drive, then it should work fine.

Reaction score
I have gone for SuperDuper - it was very easy to clone my hard drive to an external hard drive (300Gb) and make it bootable.

I have not yet bought my replace hard drive, so I have not copied it across yet.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Stretch and Ram! I just downloaded the free version of SuperDuper. Is that all I need?

Could someone please just give me a quick step by step on how to "clone" my hard drive over when I put the new one in? Thanks again for your help.

Lee

OP
H
Reaction score
Do you have to clone a bootable copy before you take your hard drive out and put the new one in or can you do it via an external once I have it in it's enclosure? I'm so confused!

OP
H
Reaction score
Man I hate to keep asking all these questions but I'm going to try to do this tomorrow. Let me see if I have this straight....I can pull out my old 60 gig, put it in my external enclosure, install the new 160, boot up and installation CD's. Then can I clone my old hard drive (now an external) with SuperDuper or Carbon Clone, both of which I downloaded? And then, once cloned, copy it back to the new and effective overwrite everything and I have it set just like the way I left it, settings and all? Phew sorry, just nervous as this is my first time attempting something like this.

As always, thanks for any help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.