Macally iceKey, Kingston Datatraveler - low power?

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Macally iceKey keyboard, which has a USB port on either end and connects to a USB port on my iMac. Whenever I insert a 2gb flash pen drive into one of the USB ports on the keyboard I get the following message:

Low Power Warning
The USB device cannot operate because it needs more power than is available.
To correct this problem you can:
1) Plug the device into an electrical outlet if it has a power cord.
2) Unplug the device and plug it into another USB port on your computer or other device that is plugged into a power cord.

Surely as a flash-based drive this should have sufficient power, shouldn't it? I have an 250mb IBM pen drive that plugs into the same port no problem; the size of the flash drive wouldn't make a difference, would it?

Puzzled.

Reaction score
G'day Martin,

I have a sneakin' suspicion that those USB ports on either end are USB 1.1, which is why you are getting the 'low power warning'. Your flash pen would need USB 2.0 which would be on your iMac anyway, so just use those.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Maybe. I've now got a short extenstion USB cable (it came with my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid, but I don't need it) so no longer have to fumble around behind the Mac to use the USB port. Thanks though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.