Radeon 9200 compatibility

Reaction score
I have replaced the Radeon 9200 video card in my Mac G3. The card I replaced is a Radeon 9200. I am wondering if anyone knows if this card would be compatible, and able to be used in a Power Mac 8600, I own?

Thank you

Reaction score
Which 8600 do you have? There are 3 models; 200/250/300.

Also what OS are you running on the 8600?

If your PowerMac is the 8600/300 and you are running Mac OS 9, then the 9200 might be compatable but I'm really just guessing here after a fair while searching the net for info/answers.

OP
M
Reaction score
radeon compatibilty

I'm running OS 9.1 on a Mac 8600/300.

You mentioned searching the web for info; do you have any suggestion for the direction I might take in that regard?

Thanks for all your assistance.

Reaction score
I was more referring to myself spending a considerable amount of time trying to syphon any info I could with regards to your situation.

I found various tidbits, nothing concrete but the best I did find was reference to the Radeon 9000 being compatable.

If you can update to 9.2.2 (see link at bottom of post) the Radeon 9200 will probably work. I can't give you a definite answer as I was unable to find any reference to anybody doing the very thing you are doing with the exact mac/os you have.

From the following info it does appear that you will be able to install that card with the only added requirements I could find being an update to OS 9.2.2 and that your Mac needed to have 256Mb of RAM and be a G3, which I'm pretty sure yours is.

System Software Support - Mac OS 9.2.2 (will not operate in Mac OS 9 with the Power Mac G4)

The Radeon 9200 delivers stunning graphics and comprehensive support for Macintosh enthusiasts, powering the ultimate visual experience for OS X and legacy OS 9 operating systems.

System Software Support
Mac OS® 9.2.2*
Mac OS® X 10.2.8
Mac OS® X 10.3.3 or later

* This product will not operate in Mac OS 9 with the Power Mac G4 “Digital Audio" and “Gigabit Ethernet" models (Refer to Knowledgebase Topic # 737-468 for more).

System Requirements
Supported Mac OS version
Power Mac G3
, G4 or G5 (with available PCI slot)**
256MB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD-playback requires DVD drive

To perform the update from 9.1 to 9.2.2, visit this site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.