How To: Fix a warped macbook screen/lid/lcd

Reaction score
Nice one!! This is just what i was looking for. Thanks alot, for finally finding a way to the problem.

Dugg...and trying it now........

Duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4" 2.6GHz mid-2008 / 4GB / nVidia M8600GT 512MB / Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 / glossy
Hello. I kind of have this very problem and would like to fix it myself however the link at Digg is dead, can anyone describe what was done to un-bend the lid? I would be very, very grateful.. Also, sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Just a guess, but I bet they put books across the top and left it running with a full load, to heat it back up. The books would then pull the warp out of the lid.

Mind you, that is just a guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I was told by an Apple dealer that all they do is carefuly bend it back.
However he did say it would warp again so i have not bothered.

Reaction score
I recently had my screen replaced under warranty because of dead pixels. When I got it back, it had a warped lid. I complained to the Apple store that repaired it and they refused to fix it though they documented it and agree that not only is it warped but it also requires "excessive force" to close the lid all the way. Applecare later said on the phone that they felt it needs repair and has tried sending me to another store. I cannot afford the cost of having to drive that far when I have an Apple store close by.

That being said, I got fed up and reported this problem to a local TV station KGO TV ABC Channel 7 in the San Francisco Bay Area. They sometimes take on consumer issues and try to resolve it for you including reporting about it on their news broadcast.

I will let you know what I hear back from them. Wish me luck. If they get mine fixed, maybe the bad publicity from the report will cause them to think twice. After all, I live about 50 minutes from Apple HQ and it would not look good for then to screw someone over after being on TV about it.

I will check in and leave a reply when I hear back.

Calibunny!!

Reaction score
I just wanted to update this thread in hopes that it may help others. As you can read from my previous post, I was fed up and contacted a local TV station. I have not heard back from them yet, I assume they are too busy.

Anyways I went ahead and sent an email to several email addresses in an attempt to reach Steve Jobs at Apple. I used all the typical forms I could like [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and so on. I figured one of them must be the right one.

Well this morning I received an email from the regional manager of the Apple stores in my area. After speaking with him on the phone, he offered to replace my laptop with a new one.

Just goes to show you that you should never give up.

I was surprised to learn that my email did make it through to Mr. Jobs and that it was in fact handled.

Good luck.....

Calibunny ^--^

Reaction score
I believe the method described was putting a small separator near the center of the screen and then weighing down either side to force the lid to bend and make a more flush profile when closed. Kind of like a cantilever bridge.

Reaction score
That link is still down and i'm still looking for a way to straighten out my slightly warped MBP... does anybody have an alternative link or remember what the article said? i would really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz, 4gb, 250 gb Penryn 15.4 " MBP
yeah same with me i have like the gap between the body and the screen but i also have some over laping of aluminum over the plastic shurroud on the top left and right corner of my screen when it is open and your looking at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.