FTP server

B

bamon

Heya all.

I am about to switch to a 12'1 g4 ibook. as i get a lot of stuff fxped to my current windows machine (which i can't wait to get rid off), i am wondering about a ftp server program as easy-to-use and customizable for OSX as SERV-U for windows is.

thanx

OP
S

StarManta

I'd be quite surprised if OS X doesn't come with one built-in.... never played with serving, only client-ing.

On a related note, don't go buy any FTP client software for OS X. From the Finder, just hit command-K and you can connect to FTP natively.

OP
P

Pangloss

bamon said:
Heya all.

I am about to switch to a 12'1 g4 ibook. as i get a lot of stuff fxped to my current windows machine (which i can't wait to get rid off), i am wondering about a ftp server program as easy-to-use and customizable for OSX as SERV-U for windows is.

thanx

Assuming you have network cards, why not use the Bimbows(TM) networking already built into Panther? Create a share on your PC and connect to it directly? Panther has the ability to connect seamlessly to Bimbows(TM) shares/workgroups and possibly domains (but I haven't tried that option yet).

Hope this helps and makes sense.

--Pangloss

OP
T

trenollet

With 10.3.x, integration to a windows network is seemless. open Finder and click on Network, find the Domain or workgroup you want to connect to and after you click on it, a box will pop up and you will be given the option to Authenticate. If you have permission to use the domain, your in. The selected share will be mounted and you are free to roam about the network.

OS X has Samba control down to an art. I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OS X does include a built-in FTP server. It's a checkbox in the Sharing pane of System Preferences; you log in with your account name and password. Not very customizable, but good enough for personal use.

Since OS X is Unix, there are a number of free command-line servers available as well. Just ask Google.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.