• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express vs. iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Ok, I know Final Cut Express is better than iMovie but how? What exactly can I do in Final Cut that I can't do in iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I did some Google searching since I personally don't use iMovie (which obviously means I don't use Final Cut either) and found a couple of hits, but the following seems to be the best, concise answer you might be looking for.

I've been working on my first Final Cut project on the new iMac since it came in on Monday, teaching myself how to use the new software along the way. I was hoping Final Cut would be as easy to pick up as iMovie, but was sadly disappointed in that regard: this is an application for which one really needs to read at least parts of the manual.

I'd estimate that the new software is probably 5x as difficult as iMovie, but 15x as powerful and flexible. Some things that it does that iMovie can't include on-the-fly color correction, all kinds of interesting compositing (including chroma-keying), capturing a precise segment of tape using DV device control, and handling lots of audio and video streams at once. Some things it does better include transitions, organizing source media, slow motion (it generates extra frames to smooth things out), custom titles, and audio editing.

There are a few areas where it's come up short: the manual doesn't explain how to modify motion paths. While iMovie includes several animated title plugins, I haven't been able to figure out how to do similar animations in Final Cut yet. It doesn't play back MP3s well (though a quick conversion to WAV works around that issue), nor does it integrate with iPhoto nearly as smoothly as does iMovie.

Overall, however, it's nice to have the added power that the program provides, and I'm enjoying the learning process.

Reaction score
Take a look at this: http://www.apple.com/finalcut/

it is a full comparison done by apple. I am a final cut pro editor so i can give you a bit of the breakdown. PM me if u have an questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
Trust me I have used imove to its max and final cut express is far more advance when it comes to editing.

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to iMovie and have a copy of FinalCut Express that i'm about to install on my MBP.

Was wondering about compatability between the two. Can i use clips imported in iMovie in FinalCut? I have quite a bit of footage already imported that i may want to do more with in the future when i'm up to Speed on Final Cut.

As a general rule would importing in one application be preferrable to the other?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.