Windows version of Parallels or BootCamp for OS-X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
As a prospective switcher I read these forums daily to boost my knowledge in anticipation of getting my first MAC. While I'm saving I wondered if it were possible to run OS-X on my Dell in order to get to know 'The Mac Way'.

Reaction score
No, you can't do that, but you're doing the right thing. Read up on OS X as much as you can now and you'll be better prepared when the time comes to make the switch. That's what I'm doing and I already find myself knowing quite a few answers to questions other switchers ask in the forums. There are quite a few sites that highlight good information to know in switching and Apple's own Switch 101 tutorial pages on it's site is good, too.

There are even some video tutorials on sites. Apple also has some short video tutorials on some of it's software. A lot of folks have recommended "Switching To The Mac - The Missing Manual" book - and it's full of great information on making the switch, too. Read up and then putting the knowledge to use should be very helpful. If you can visit an Apple store and play with the Macs a bit in person as you learn this information, that will help, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, it technically IS possible to install Mac OS X on a regular PC. However, there's a bit of a hurdle involved. The only way you can legally install OS X on a PC is if you are a Mac developer. Seeing as how you don't even own a Mac, I would guess that you don't qualify as a developer. Thus, any attempts to install OS X on a PC would be deemed illegal (especially considering the method you would have to employ in order to even get a copy of Tiger).

Also, you should know that installing OS X on a PC is a total pain. There is a very narrow range of compatible hardware and even when you DO get it installed, it's not the same as the Mac experience.

The best thing you can do is read up as much as you can and to check out Macs at your local Apple store or Apple retailer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Actually, it technically IS possible to install Mac OS X on a regular PC. However, there's a bit of a hurdle involved. The only way you can legally install OS X on a PC is if you are a Mac developer.
Even then, it wasn't any old PC that it was installed on. There was a special "Developer's Box" that was distributed to the Dev's so they could test the OS.
You still cannot just take the disc from a DevKit and put it on any old PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.