White or Black MacBook

mab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, OS 10.4.11
Hi all. After a period of lurking, I've decided to purchase a MacBook. I am going to go with the 2 GHz, and would like to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM. I do not care one way or the other about 80 v 120 GB HD, but am wondering on actual user experience with black v white MacBooks. I hate to pay the premium for the black, but at the Apple Store today, the white looked really worn and dirty, almost gray. Any thoughts from users with one color or the other?

Also, would you order through Apple online to get the 2GB RAM upgrade or do it yourself? If it makes a difference, I am a federal government employee and will get a discount (6%) by ordering through Apple as compared to another retailer.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My Macbook is white, my wife's is black. They are both very nice. The white occasionally gets a little discoloration on the wrist pads if I'm using the internal keyboard, but that's cleaned easily with an optical cloth. The black gets some shiny spots on frequently used keys but it too is easily cleaned.

The Apple logo on the black is quite striking when illuminated. The reason I got the black for her was that it matched her iPod :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's really a personal preference. The only main difference is that the white Macbook is glossy whereas the black is matte (which unfortunately means the black one is a fingerprint magnet).

I have a black Macbook because I like the matte look over the glossy. Plus, black is just so much cooler than white :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
My white Macbook has not been cleaned in the 3 months i've had it. Not due to laziness though - it just still looks so good, no marks at all.

Reaction score
I have the white and love it. My buddy has the black one and loves it. Mine gets finger prints on it but it is very easily cleaned. The contrast of the apple logo on the black macbook looks real good. The black book hates greasy hands though.
I like my buddies black book but I'll stick with my white one.

BTW I use the my car wax on the macbook and it looks like a mirror. Seriously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD
I have the white MacBook and I think it looks really sharp. I haven't had any problems with fingerprints or discoloration, and I use it all day, everyday. Plus, if price is important at all, I do not think the black is worth the extra money if you don't need the extra HD space. (I am using the difference in price to buy an external HD to use for Time Machine when Leopard comes out).
I am not positive about this, but I think if you want to upgrade the RAM to 2 GB you have to have 2 x 1 GB RAM sticks, and the installed RAM that come standard in the MacBook will be 2 x 512 MB sticks. You would have to buy two new sticks - so it's probably better to upgrade the RAM through Apple. (Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I am not positive about this, but I think if you want to upgrade the RAM to 2 GB you have to have 2 x 1 GB RAM sticks, and the installed RAM that come standard in the MacBook will be 2 x 512 MB sticks. You would have to buy two new sticks - so it's probably better to upgrade the RAM through Apple. (Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that)

Correct on the fact that it comes stock with 2x512MB sticks, both of which you will have to replace to get 2GB of RAM in a Macbook.

However, as for it being better to get the upgrade from Apple, that would be incorrect. Despite having to swap both sticks, it is still cheaper to buy it from a third-party vendor and installing it yourself. This is mainly why many members here recommend that if you're set on 2GB to get 512MB of RAM and then upgrade as then you will be saving money from the start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I wish that they did brushed aluminum, I think they look much better.

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
I've never thought about using car wax on my computer!

I think it was in mac addict that I saw this, but I'm not positive - the hd is like a $50 upgrade, that you pay $200 for - your extra $150 is nothing but a premium for the color. Granted, it's fun when computers are pretty, but I don't think that a color is worth that. Use the extra $$ for RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I've never thought about using car wax on my computer!

I think it was in mac addict that I saw this, but I'm not positive - the hd is like a $50 upgrade, that you pay $200 for - your extra $150 is nothing but a premium for the color. Granted, it's fun when computers are pretty, but I don't think that a color is worth that. Use the extra $$ for RAM.[/QUOTE

agreed

Reaction score
If they were both the same price, I would probably choose the black.

But I did not think it was worth the extra, so I went for the white and bought 2Gb of RAM instead. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory
Hi, I have a question and don't want to start a new thread to ask it.

I want to buy a MacBook for college. I love the White, but I'm hesitant to buy it because of how easily it scratches. I would put it in some sort of sleeve before carrying it anywhere, but I'd really prefer to not need a case otherwise. It's probably inevitable it'll get scratched, and since I like my things "perfect," I'm scared this will be an issue!

If I go for the black one, will I be able to just slip it in a sleeve before putting it in my bag and not worry about scratches? I know they attract grease, but to me, scratches are a bigger problem than grease since they're permanent!

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.