• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

sony digital 8 & iMovie

Reaction score
My parents have a Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV510 digital handycam. I have been using it to record videos of my son and now I want to burn those videos to dvds on my macbook. I bought the IEEE 1394 cord to connect the two through firewire.. but it doesn't want to work. I tried the iMovie help.. tried everything they suggested and it still doesn't want to work. I can't figure out how to set the video recording quality (SP, LP, E-SP, E-LP) on the camcorder and I can't find anything about it in the user manual.

I had it set in VTR mode, I tried unconnecting and re-connecting everything, taking the batteries out and resetting the time. Nothing has worked.

Can anyone help me?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Once you have the camera connected powered on the VTR mode. You start up IMovie, from there you should see a little toggle switch in the lower left corner screen. Click on the little camera icon and would put you in the video import mode. You should be able to control the camera under this option.

OP
B
Reaction score
yes i know that. It won't find the camera. It only has the built-in isight as an option for importing video.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just wanted to be sure you know that. Must people who ask, don't know. What version of iMovie are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15",1.67 GHz, 2 GB memory OS X 10.4.10. iMac 21.5 3.06 Ghz
I had this problem once and read somewhere in a forum this:
close iMovie, start Garageband, play some notes, quit garageband, start iMovie, connect the camera.
I did it and worked fine.
Hope this help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.