Speaker problems on New MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Just got my brand new MBP. I noticed that the left speaker has a small pop to it when it tried to hit some frequencies. Also, when I move balance from left to right, notice that some of the lower frequencies sound muted on that speaker.

Need some opinions here. I need the computer for class everyday. Not having the computer would seriously cripple me. However, I am on spring break this week and will not have class again till monday (3/19). Also note that the computer was just received on 3/8/07, so haven't had it for more than a week. Curious if anyone else has had any similar problems. My thoughts are that it is a blown speaker, but I really don't know. Given my time line stated above and how I need the computer for class please advise:

1. Should I take it into an authorized repair (CompUSA)?
2. Should I mail it in to Apple in their box?
3. Should I demand a replacement since it is only few days old. (will a repair cause any aesthetic defects (i.e. scratches, screws that are noticeable removed and put back)?
4. Should I just live with the speaker.

I feel somewhat violated that my brand new MBP has to be cracked open to have something fixed. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
1. first and foremost, AVOID compUSA like the plague.
2. before mailing it, take it to an apple store, and get some notes on your acct.
3. a replacement? you probably wont get it unless its really terrible.
4. no dont live with it, explore your options.

a side note. i got a new machines the next day after purchase from apple. why you ask? i got home from spending 1900$, and found about 30-40 stuck/dead pixels on my lcd.

suffice to say i had them turn the new one on before i left the store!

OP
F
Reaction score
No apple store near me :( Nearest place that is within a few hours is the local CompUSA. Are they that bad? Should I just mail it in? How long to get it back?

T

todd51

I would then call Apple and see what they say, they will probably just give you mail-in instructions.

I wouldn't just "live with it", you paid this much for a nice computer, you deserve one where both speakers work! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
id mail it in over going to CUSA. yes they are that bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I agree. Don't live with it. It will bug you for as long as you have the machine, and if it really is a problem then it could be a precursor to your speakers going completely.

Call Apple, tell them your story, and see what they can offer you. It would be worth the money to pay for expedited shipping to them (or get them to pay for it). That way it gets in their hands faster. Their turnaround seems to be quick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.