os x startup tone

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know a way to turn off the os x startup tone? it's annyoing to hear when i turn it on at night.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It's set to the system volume when the computer is shut down.

Mute your computer before you turn it off and you won't hear it when it comes on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Any other way to change it, or actually remove it with the sound on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The sound is a post beep that tells you that your computer is working. The sound is built into the firmware so you can't remove it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
Is there any way that you can change the startup sound, ala Win-blows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any way that you can change the startup sound, ala Win-blows?

Maybe if you flash the ROM with different firmware? Seems risky though just for a sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
I really don't see in the point of getting rid of it -- it is similar to the beep your PC makes after it passes POST. It something that tells you that your computer's I/O system is working correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it's just something I'm not used to... I don't really like change, unless its a really cool change, like getting a Mac. :p My PC doesn't make ANY beeping noises when it starts (yes, the speaker is present and working).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I really don't see in the point of getting rid of it -- it is similar to the beep your PC makes after it passes POST. It something that tells you that your computer's I/O system is working correctly.

For me, it's not really a matter of whether PCs also have a startup sound or not.

The newer computers that I use don't have that beep,
but my older computers do have it.

And trust me, if I knew how to get rid of the beep on those PCs, I would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
Really? I like them personally, epically for troubleshooting an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Guys guys!! You're talking about startup beeps!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 2xPowerBook G4s, 2xiBook G3s, and an unchi PC.
Guys, the Mac chime is magical, beautiful, bliss.
It's telling me I'm not a grey Windoze box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Guys, the Mac chime is magical, beautiful, bliss.
It's telling me I'm not a grey Windoze box.

true!! Everytime I hear it takes me back to my middle school days when our computer lab was full of G3 iMacs..:)

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok, so I can't really get rid of it... The reason I wanted to get rid of it was is because the built-in Mac Mini speaker kinda sucks. It sounds crackly and not nice. I have an Altec Lansing speaker system hooked up to my Mac Mini but the startup tone still goes through the built-in speaker. Is it possible to make the sound come through my Altec Lansing speakers? That would make it a nice startup tone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
I also wanted to get rid of the sound because I have my computer boot up every morning before I wake up so I can use it as an alarm clock. I have to have the volume set loud so the music will wake me up, but this means the bootup sound wakes me up first. I live in a dorm, so I don't want to disturb my roommate with it too.
I was searching this just now, and another thread gave the name of a program, Mac Pilot, that allows you to change a lot of default preferences you normally wouldn't be able to. There is a setting for muting the startup sound in Mac Pilot. I have yet to restart my computer since changing it, but hopefully that will work. The only problem is that it's only a 15 day trial, so once that's up, I'm stuck with whichever preference I set.

__
Fear is a waste of time, and pain breeds fear -- ignore pain and live life.

Reaction score
Ok, so I can't really get rid of it...
Post #7 says how to get rid of it.

I think Teh Steve got rid of the error-type startup beeps. If so, the everyday startup chime serves no purpose. Their soul-satisfying bongs went all downhill after the Quadra, anyway.

Reaction score
This page gives the history of the chimes and how they came about.

There's a link to site and app called Mactracker. It's a fun app that has in it each startup chime of every Mac that has/had one.

Reaction score
I think everyone is ignoring the main reason to turn it off. I have a macbook and I periodically have to reboot in class and I can't have the chime play, it's embarrassing and distracting to other students. I know the volume setting will control it but it doesn't always work for me so this thing gives me a little reassurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.