scanner "being used by another user or program"; lock file?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner that was working fine yesterday, and now the ScanSnap manager is giving me the message, "ScanSnap is being used by another user or program. If you switched the user currently logged on, data transfer from ScanSnap may not be completed successfully." When I hit ok, the manager closes and the scanner is not operational.

Two things happened that could be at fault. 1) I had to do a hard reset of the Macbook Pro due to another problem, so perhaps there is a locking file somewhere that is preventing the scanner from being accessed. 2) I updated DEVONThink, so maybe something weird happened there.

I unplugged the scanner, uninstalled the program, deleted its preference file, rebooted and reinstalled the program. Same error.

I am new to the Mac, but this kind of thing in Linux would almost always be a stale locking file. Is there such a thing in Mac? Is there something else to try?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I just had this problem, and shutting down the computer, unplugging the USB cable, powering up, and then plugging the cable back in cleared it for me.

David.

Reaction score
For users of Macs running virtual Windows (certainly under Fusion and probably Parallels as well) remember that when a USB device is plugged in, it may be grabbed by one when you need it on the other. I saved myself much grief when I realized that one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.