How to use .mds and .mdf files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Does anyone know of a way to either mount or burn a set of .mds and .mdf files? I know of a number of programs for Windows that can do such things (such as Daemon tools, and alcohol120%) but I don't know of anything that will do the job on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
From a couple Google searches, I've found that you can burn .mdf files using Toast.

However, if you want to mount the image file, you can change the extension to .iso or .cdr and it should be recognized by Disk Utility. Some other people had to change the extension back to .mdf for it to work.

OP
Jeff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Sadly, I don't have Toast on my MacBook. I tried changing the extension to both .iso and .cdr, but no luck. Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Did you try changing it back to .mdf? Oh, and silly question, but are you changing the extension of the .mds or the .mdf file? You need to do it to just the actual image file (i.e. the larger one) and ignore the small one.

Oh, and silly question, but when you change the extension, are you double clicking on it for it to load in Disk Utility?

Worst case scenario, you have to load Alcohol if you have a PC or if you have Parallels intalled on your Mac and then convert the file to .iso.

OP
Jeff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was only modifying the larger file, yes.

When I change the extention to .iso, and open the file in DiskUtility, is there any way to know if it is actually reading the file in the different format?

I'll probably just have to break down, and power up the PC. I guess it wouldn't kill me... or would it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(
I mounted the iso on the desktop, now what? Should I burn it on a disk?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.