How to save time when backing up data?

Reaction score
Hi
I'm not sure where to post this, so I will post it here.
I save my data to an external hard drive. I then want to back that up to a second hard drive. At the moment, every so often I delete everything from the backup drive and then put all my data on it again. That includes all the new data, and the old data. I'm sure there must be a better way of doing this!

For example, I have a folder, and now it has more files in it than it did before. Is there some way that it can just add what is new? I.e. what it does not yet have? Perhaps a program or something can do this?

Sorry for being so ignorant about this!
Thank you
Justin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi
I'm not sure where to post this, so I will post it here.
I save my data to an external hard drive. I then want to back that up to a second hard drive. At the moment, every so often I delete everything from the backup drive and then put all my data on it again. That includes all the new data, and the old data. I'm sure there must be a better way of doing this!

For example, I have a folder, and now it has more files in it than it did before. Is there some way that it can just add what is new? I.e. what it does not yet have? Perhaps a program or something can do this?

Sorry for being so ignorant about this!
Thank you
Justin

I think what you're referring to is commonly known as an "incremental" backup - that is, a backup that only adds files that have been added or changed since the last full backup. These types of backups are done primarily to save time.

I use a product called SuperDuper. The free version only does full backups, but the paid-for version can incrementally add to the existing full backup. Do you think that would suit your needs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The incremental backups with SuperDuper is an excellent idea-- this is what I do as well, so props to cwa.

I usually run Cocktail before doing my backups. This makes sure that all my internet surfing caches are cleared out 'cause I don't need to back that stuff up. I also clear out my trash and "deleted mail" items.

Is your external drive Firewire or USB 2.0? If it's USB, you'll have some speed gain by going to Firewire.

Good luck!

OP
J
Reaction score
My drives are USB 2. As far as I understand there is only a USB input in the drives, no firewire.

Would that program work for incremental backup of just one folder, rather than the whole disc?
And as for a whole system backup, does it matter that it is actually an external drive which I am backing up, NOT my computer? I am trying to backup one external drive to another one.

Thanks!
Justin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My drives are USB 2. As far as I understand there is only a USB input in the drives, no firewire.

Would that program work for incremental backup of just one folder, rather than the whole disc?
And as for a whole system backup, does it matter that it is actually an external drive which I am backing up, NOT my computer? I am trying to backup one external drive to another one.

Thanks!
Justin

It doesn't matter what drive you backup, but you must backup the entire drive.

Reaction score
Another vote for SuperDuper! here, although bear in mind that Time Machine's going to be part of Leopard...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.