iMac G3 not starting up

B

bruceg

Hello,
my G3 iMac DV (one of the old original types) has started giving me a lot of trouble. A few weeks ago I started receiving msgs. that my C drive was damaged. Before I could buy software to repair it, I started receiving the blinking question mark when I tried to boot up. I was able to resovle that by "zapping the pram" , but now my cursor freezes up upon boot up. I tried starting up with the restore disk inserted and holding down the 'C' key but the mac is not recognizing the disk (It's not booting up from the CD that is). Also, upon start up I get this weird knocking sound that's hard to describe other than it does not sound good :-(

Is there anything else I can try before taking to the repair shop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That knocking sound isn't a good thing. I'm not sure if this applies to an older Mac G3, but restarting holding command S and getting single user mode (this may well be OS X only) and then type fsck and repeat until it does not say ***file system changed*** hope this helps, but a hardware (hard drive) problem may be at hand BTW I don't believe the hard drive is called "C";) so it may be shop bound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.