Mac Mini Tech Help - Added ram, it won't boot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I have the mac mini apart in front of me, I put in new ram and tried to turn it onto test it.

It doesn't make a sound. There is only a light on the front of it.

This is my sisters Mac Mini and she brought it over to me, but I cannot hook it up to a display because she didn't bring the adapter...

I put the original ram back in it and it still won't make the start up chime.

What's it's problem?

Reaction score
Would probably really help if you had a display. Are you sure you're using the right kind of RAM? Opening a mac mini seems a bit dangereous to me, anyway.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Ok, I think I got it. It starts up and chimes now. It appears that a gold looking ribbon cable was a little loose, I had to play with it for a bit to get it to work. It looked like that loose connection was preventing power from getting to the HDD and the Optical drives (pretty much everyone on the top side of the case to which it was connecting)

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would probably really help if you had a display. Are you sure you're using the right kind of RAM? Opening a mac mini seems a bit dangereous to me, anyway.

It wasn't too bad actually getting into it and working with it. Just at always seems like (maybe it's murphys law, but I hate saying murphys law because it sounds so gay) stuff always has to go wrong that shouldn't and something that should take 15 mins ends up taking 45

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.