Macbook specific reinstall CDs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Can anyone tell me if the macbook reinstall CD's are model specific. That is, I couldn't use my imacs installation CDs to fix my macbook? I've tried reinstalling everything from my intel imacs cds (osx tiger) and I get this error message after choosing a language that says I can't install from those CD's.

Anyone tried what I'm trying to do and had any results?

Should I just wait for leopard to come out and do a freash install from that?

Thanks,

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The CDs that come with a Mac are model specific. You cant use an iMacs CDs on a MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
as stretchR said they are model specific.. I have tried in the past to do what you are doing and it wont work.. you can do two things.. one, buy the disc(s) from apple (1800-my-apple). or you can try to find them on ebay. its a long shot but ebay would be cheaper than apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Yes they are model specific.....I bought mine off ebay with a good saving.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
what are the price ranges from apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
what are the price ranges from apple?
You can't buy OS X DVD's from Apple for use in intel mac's yet. If your OS X DVD's aren't working they will probably replace them for you

Reaction score
Massachussets?

Hey Arichards,

Where in Mass do you live? I just got my macbook, its an intel core duo with a combo drive. If you want, you can come by and we can give it a shot. I live in Waltham and study at Brandeis University. Let me know, my AIM is xAliLaPointex

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Arichards,

Where in Mass do you live? I just got my macbook, its an intel core duo with a combo drive. If you want, you can come by and we can give it a shot. I live in Waltham and study at Brandeis University. Let me know, my AIM is xAliLaPointex

I called the Apple Store today, and they told me that it would cost $30 to get new disks. Since my macbook still runs really fast and smooth, I think what I'm going to do is just wait until leopard comes out and do a fresh install from that.

Thanks a lot for the offer though.

Also, I go to school down in Dallas, Texas, and I'm leaving tommorow, so setting up a visit would be difficult.

Thanks again though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I called the Apple Store today, and they told me that it would cost $30 to get new disks. Since my macbook still runs really fast and smooth, I think what I'm going to do is just wait until leopard comes out and do a fresh install from that.

Thanks a lot for the offer though.

Also, I go to school down in Dallas, Texas, and I'm leaving tommorow, so setting up a visit would be difficult.

Thanks again though.

thats pretty typical.. I paid $35 for two imac restore discs with shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.