External DVD burner? Help for a newbie?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced/knowledgable members...

I'm looking to pick up an external dvd burner for me Powerbook G4 and am having trouble locating one. I checked out some reviews on Cnet and sites like that but can't really find what i'm looking for. Some of the reviews state that you can burn but not watch (?) not sure what that means...I'm a newbie.

I'm looking for a dvd burner to simply burn and watch dvds; something in the moderate price range if possible.

Can anyone offer me advice on a good one or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Newb to Mac here, but I think any DVD burner should work. But then don't know anything about the G4, and it's possible hardware limitations, nor software limitations if you are running OS 9, maybe bumpin this can get some response for you.

If you need no software, check out these at newegg.

If you would like some software, think I would suggest OWC, the Pioneer units they are using are rated pretty highly. And since they specialize in Mac hardware, you could probably call them and make sure you will not have any issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.