Creating ISO images?

HSN

Reaction score
Hello,

I have files of a DVD containing Fedora Core 6.0 on my iMAC. I want to create an ISO of these files. I want this ISO to make a bootable DVD of it.

Please can anyone help me with creation of an ISO disk image on iMAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Disk Utility can do it. Just pop the disk in, the go to File -> New -> Disk Image from <labelofdisk>. Select CD/DVD Master as the type and No Encryption and a file with a .cdr extension appears. This is your disk image (they don't call it ISO because DVDs don't use ISO9660 file system).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Apples hdiutil seems (and has been said) to not be able to create bootable disks. D'uh!

Perhaps mkisofs with the -udf option will work for you. I've only done CD images. I used mkisofs that came with ffmpegX so I made an alias to that instead. Surely it is downloadable by it self.

alias mkisofs "/Applications/3rdParty/Tools\ Video/ffmpegX/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/mkisofs"

Then did this.
mkisofs -r -o bsd40b.iso -b 4.0/i386/cdrom40.fs -c boot_catalog -l -v /Users/dreely/Parallels/OpenBSD/OpenBSD

-r keeps lowercase to lowercase.
-o bsd40b.iso is the end result file that is bootable and burnable.
-b 4.0/i386/cdrom40.fs is the file that gets boot when booting the cd.
-c boot_catalog adds a boot catalog and is required for a bootable cd.
-l allows for 31 character file names.
-v /Users/dreely/Parallels/OpenBSD/OpenBSD is where my content is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.