Bought an iMac. Now some questions.

Ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5. 1GB Ram, Super Drive.
iMac 1GB RAM.

~~~~

1) How do I 'install' programs as it were? I download msn and a .dmg file appears. What do i do with this? How do I take it off the desktop? Why does it regard Msn Messenger as a "drive" or is this normal?

2) I had my USB flash drive in the back. I ejected it alright but when i pulled it out. OSX crashed.

3) How come when I start up, it sometimes doesn't ask for my password?

Thanks =]

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
iMac 1GB RAM.

~~~~

1) How do I 'install' programs as it were? I download msn and a .dmg file appears. What do i do with this? How do I take it off the desktop? Why does it regard Msn Messenger as a "drive" or is this normal?

2) I had my USB flash drive in the back. I ejected it alright but when i pulled it out. OSX crashed.

Thanks =]

Read the sticky directly above this thread first.

.. and welcome.

Actually, I've just realized that your first question is probably the most FAQ we get yet I can't see it in the FAQ sticky!

1) The dmg is a disk image, use it like one by dragging out of it whatever you need then ejecting it and send it to the trash. (or if you are really organised burn it to CD or DVD for backup purposes) Treat dmg files like virtual CDs and you can't go far wrong.

When dragging applications out of a dmg it is usual to put them in the Applications folder.

2) I used to have this problem with a memory stick that had two partiotionson it, ejecting it was only ejecting one partition. Make sure you have th elatest firmware update for your iMac as this should not be happening.

3) Don't know, very strange behaviour are you sure you are completely restarting and not just coming out of sleep?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Double click on the disk image. Some programs will have an icon that just needs dragging into your Applications folder. Others will have an installer which needs double clicking on (usually the icon looks like an open box).

When you're finished, drag whatever's left on the desktop into the trash.

Reaction score
iMac 1GB RAM.

~~~~

Thanks =]

1) To install a program double ckick on the .dmg file. An icon will pop up on the desktop. Open that up and move the program into your /Applications/ directory. At this point you can delete the new icon that appeared on your desktop from when you opened the .dmg file.

2) Make sure that you properly eject your flash drive. Click and drag it into the trash can or click on it and kit the Apple key + E.

3) No clue, thats really weird. How often does it forget to ask for a password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
3) Try this...goto System Preferences, goto Accounts, make sure the padlock in the bottom left is unlocked, click on login options and make sure the "Automatically login as:" isn't checked.

Hope that works. If not you may have to create a new account and see whether that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.