Playlist Question for the Experts...

Reaction score
I'm befuddled. This is what I want to do (and for the life of me have come up at a deadend). I want to create a playlist in iTunes. And this playlist will consist of songs in a designated folder on my hdd in the music folder. So, let's say I have a "ROCK" folder in my music folder, I'll want a "ROCK" playlist in my itunes, and let's say I have another folder called "80's", ill want an "80s" playlist in my itunes as well, etc.

So my question is, is it possible to somehow set itunes so it automatically UPDATES those playlists when I add a song/mp3 into the folder? So If I buy a song and save it in the ROCK folder, it auto updates the ROCK playlist by adding that song?

Anyone know? That would be AWESOME!!

Thanks

Reaction score
iTunes automatically creates folders. If you want to organise your songs why not simply import them into iTunes then create playlists such as Rock, 80s?

If you want to sort your song further, such as into unplayed 80s, etc, use smart playlists.

This is what iTunes is for.

Reaction score
1. Never fiddle with files in the music folder.

2. Use iTunes as your file organizer. Forget what happens behind the curtains.

3. Tag you music appropriately so that you can sort them by Genre (ROCK) or year (1980-1989).

4. Ditch the file meddling, again. Just go to the itunes settings and choose the option that iTunes should organize the music folder for you and you're set.

5. Same goes for iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Listen to the crowd.
Smart playlists are the shiznit.
My "Rock out" smart playlist criteria:
ishot1az9.jpg

Reaction score
voiceofra's easy listening playlist is yards long...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.