Which HD and Case to Buy???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
I need an external, large capacity (350GB +) HD for my iBook G4. Can anyone recommend a good HD and case? I need to be able to boot from the external HD. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can check out my post from last nite here.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
You can check out my post from last nite here.

Thanks for sharing your review of reviews! I read the whole thing! I'm looking at buying either a Seagate or Hitachi, and an enclosure with the Oxford bridgeboard.

Looks like I will also need to buy a new internal HD for my iBook. Disk Warrior was not able to make repairs ..... "Macintosh HD too damaged ...." That will have to wait though ....

I also want to buy a UPS to protect against future power outages! Any advice on which UPS to buy? Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Picking a UPS - really depends on what / how you need it to perform, how many devices you need to connect to it and what price point fits within your budget.
My main advice is to get one that protects against brownouts (low power) as well as surge protection. I have experienced power supply failure of equipment due to low power being supplied to my house (that particular problem has been since resolved by the utitlty company).

Check out newegg, read reviews, and find one that satisfies your particular needs and budget.

Since I am new to the Mac world, I am not aware of which, if any brand has software available for the Mac. Of course, the software is not really required to provide the protection, mainly only provides extra feature sets such as saving open documents (for some software) prior to it shutting down. To me this is only handy if you are in the practice of starting documents and not saving them prior to leaving the house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.