VLC player troubles

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for reading. VLC keeps trying to open odd files that it's not supposed to. Whenever a program tries to bring up a web page or open connect to a website itself VLC tries to open it. I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling but that didn't work. It really would be nice to be able to download updates and such, does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
what filetype is it trying to open?
If it's not a video file, and you know what the file should be opening in, try this:
Select the file and Get Info (apple+i) Somewhere down the bottom, there should be an 'open with' menu. If the app you want the file to open with is there, select it, otherwise choose 'browse'. Next, choose 'change all' and confirm. Try double clicking the file then.

I'm not sure why it would be doing this in the first place though. I don't think one can accidentally change settings like that, and it's certainly not default for VLC to be doing that.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have absolutly no Idea what the file is that its trying to open, or even if it is a file... Like when I click update software in Mellel, it just ends up opening VLC player :S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hmm...very odd. I'd just avoid using that method of updating then. I'd manually download the updates through a browser. That should probably do the trick.

M

MacHeadCase

Doesn't this have to do with a messed up LaunchServices?

I would download and install MainMenu/, launch it and run the Rebuild LaunchServices action.

While at it I would also clean up all the caches, restart. Don't worry if you find your Mac starts up slower than normal, it is rebuilding its cache from scratch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.