Installing memory in my iMac

Reaction score
I have a 1 gig stick of memory to install in my Intel 24" iMac. When working on my PC (which happened all too frequently, hence the switch to Mac) I knew to ground to the power supply. What do I ground myself to I when installing this memory?
Thanks,
Mikeylee

OP
M
Reaction score
Shweb,

Thanks for the reference, but that does not say how to ground myself so I don't make the little sodimm a dead sodimm. Do I NOT have to ground myself <trembling with financial fear over the prospect of the invisible puff of static smoke>?

Mikeylee

Reaction score
G'day mikeylee,

I ground myself by resting my wrists against the metal frame of the mac as I reach inside.

Also, try to find a static free work area, like one where there's no carpet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks all,

I got the memory installed.

I cross-posted this thread in 2 different boards to try to get a quick answer (this forum ALWAYS has quick responses though) and got my hand slapped by admin.

I apologize for cross-posting and will be cautious not to do so in the future.

Thanks for your help,
mikeylee

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi again,

After some pondering on my "illegal" actions, I retract my apology and stand against my warning. I am confident everyone does not look at every forum in mac-forums.com. I posted similar messages in two areas which were appropriate and probably draw different forum readers (moderators excluded). I put in the "iMac" forum because it was for an iMac, and in the "other hardware and peripherals" forum because memory is hardware and that forum probably draws a more technically oriented reader.

I believe I used the forums better and more efficiently than the joking that goes on (which is absolutely fine) and stand by that.

I am guessing this will get me kicked off the board since the reporting moderator seems to have not thought beyond similar posts in two threads. If that happens, I bid you adieu.

This place is an incredible resource and I used it as such.
<mikeylee climbs off his soapbox and accepts the consequences of actually using his brains> :)

Mikeylee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
you really only needed to post it in one fourm because the search function is what we recommend for new users with common questions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Skye,
Much appreciated, but I was not searching for an answer because I already had with negative results. The moderator gave me a stock answer which did not address my question (how to ground myself NOT how to install the memory) and I was putting my question out to two unique forums with what I considered to be different audiences so the might be able to answer it.

I understand rules is rules, but rules without some level of common sense is stupid.

mikeylee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
well they have to have rules to cover anything and if some of them are just common sense then you obviously wont forget them. but dont cross post as admins have told you.

enjoy the forum but follow the rules.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ah, young christm, as you grow you will learn rules must be administered intelligently or they are worthless. I AM a rule follower, as indivcated by my immediate apology to the thread. BUT, upon further review, I realized the silliness of the apology AND the warning. No admin asked "why did you crosspost?".

I will cross-post in the future IF I am trying to ask the question of two different audiences, as I was in this situation. Hopefully, admin will look at the reason behind crossposts and see if it is for the purpose of filling space or actually utilizing the vast audience this great board draws for knowledge about this platform which is still fairly new to me.

I am expecting an apology from admin any time now. Even an acknowledgment that his reference doc did not answer my question.

As stated above, I am a rule follower, but will rage against the machine when the machine outputs silliness. Might the machine kick me off because I stand for what I did...Yep. But then they would be wrong twice.
<mikeylee jumps from his soapbox and stores it nearby>

Thanks,
Mikeylee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Sorry Mikey,
Crossposting is clearly against our forum rules. There is absolutely no need to post the same question in more than one forum. Pick the most appropriate forum, your post will get answered.

Not only is crossposting worthless, it's rude, and shows poor forum netiquette. Almost every internet forum has rules against crossposting, it's just bad form.

If you find it impossible to abide by the rule, I suggest you find another forum more to your liking. We've had the no crossposting rule for years and yet still managed to become the largest forum-only Mac site on the Internet.

Crossposting does nothing but clutter the forums, and in most cases, creates more difficulty when people search for an answer to their questions. Crossposting is nothing but a great disservice to the entire community.

So no, you will not receive an apology because you broke our forum rules.

OP
M
Reaction score
Mikey is reserved for a special few who have my permission to call me that. To you, I am Mikeylee. When you apologize for that, I will accept it.

You are promoting this forum when I have already stated it is terrific. I am not saying cross-posting is usually good. In fact, it is usually very bad. I am saying I cross-posted in an intelligent manner, but the rule seems to ignore the possibility that there is no "most appropriate" forum on the board. That in some cases, there are multiple "most appropriate" forums. I am saying the application of the rule lacks intelligence. We all do things in bad form, wouldn't you agree?

How does my cross-posting a message into two VERY appropriate forums on this excellent board damage the board as much as some of the mindless babbling that goes on just for the fun of it in many threads? Is that bad form? Are they disciplined. I am saying give me a break and apply rules with some thought.

MikeyLEE

OP
M
Reaction score
BTW, none of these attacks are personal toward Schwebbie, they are against rules applied without thought. I do not know Schwebbie and have nothing against him. He just happens to be the one applying the rules. Please give me instances where I personally attacked him. I will be more than willing to apologize.
Mikeylee

OP
M
Reaction score
"since the reporting moderator seems to have not thought beyond similar posts in two threads."

Schweb,
Upon reviewing the entire thread above, I guess I did sling some mud in your personal direction. The sentiment should have been directed toward the rule and not you. You have my sincere apology.
Mikeylee

P.S. One would think whoever is repeatedly giving me - rep for voicing my opinion in a thread I created and over the same rule really should also incur a warning. No?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How does my cross-posting a message into two VERY appropriate forums on this excellent board damage the board as much as some of the mindless babbling that goes on just for the fun of it in many threads? Is that bad form? Are they disciplined. I am saying give me a break and apply rules with some thought.

MikeyLEE

You seem to have a lot of issues with the way things are done here as well as "mindless babble" that occurs.

I think I've solved your issue for you. I would suggest finding a new forum that better fits your personality. Unfortunately, rudeness and personal insults are also not allowed here and yet you seem unable to present your case without doing both.

Enjoy your evening.

Reaction score
Mikey is reserved for a special few who have my permission to call me that. To you, I am Mikeylee. When you apologize for that, I will accept it.

Mike -- you're a nimrod.

Dear moderators: I know name-calling is against the rules, but because I felt it was really really okie dokie this one time I know you will not give me an infraction or ban. You see, punishing people for name-calling is usually ok but in this particular instance, since it was me and I'm just very special and I had a Good Reason™ surely you'll agree that the rules should be completely ignored this time.

In closing, I would just like to say Mike, you're still a nimrod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Todd, we'll let it slide this time. :)

Besides, I don't think the rule applies to banned people. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.