Adobe Reader vs. Preview

Reaction score
How do I make Adobe Reader the default reader for opening pdf files instead of Preview?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Simply follow the instructions that come up when you do a search on Mac-Forums.com for "pdf default" or "adobe reader default"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, why do you want Adobe Reader over Preview?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've switched to using Adobe Reader as well. I've found Preview isn't always completely compatible, especially with the newest PDF versions.

This is very evident with PDF forms.

OP
WizWoz
Reaction score
Simply follow the instructions that come up when you do a search on Mac-Forums.com for "pdf default" or "adobe reader default"

Thanks, but the threads didn't answer the question. They simply explain how to select Adobe while opening individual files. The questions is how do you make Adobe the default instead of Preview?

OP
WizWoz
Reaction score
Just curious, why do you want Adobe Reader over Preview?

Adobe reader has better functionality and I can print pdf files without them becoming corrupted as they do when I print from Preview.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Right click on a PDF File and click on Get Info. Then go down to Open With and change to Adobe Reader. Then under that a button called Change All will un-Gray. Click that. All PDFs should open in Adobe after that.

Edit: I am grabbing it now. If what I told you does not work, let me know. I am going to try it.

Tried it, works. Everything PDF opens in Adobe Reader.

I have never had any issues with Preview so far.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Almost forgot, Thanks Schweb for the heads up. For the stuff I usually do with PDF's, mostly motherboard ETC Manuals, I have had no issues at all. Now if I do I have Adobe just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah, I never had much of an issue with regular, static PDF files. It was just the PDF Forms that I started running into recently that never functioned correctly with Preview.

OP
WizWoz
Reaction score
Right click on a PDF File and click on Get Info. Then go down to Open With and change to Adobe Reader. Then under that a button called Change All will un-Gray. Click that. All PDFs should open in Adobe after that.

Edit: I am grabbing it now. If what I told you does not work, let me know. I am going to try it.

Tried it, works. Everything PDF opens in Adobe Reader.

I have never had any issues with Preview so far.

Thanks Travis. That solved my problem and answered the question. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Any word on Preview possibly being updated to accommodate new pdf formats?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.