iBook Clamshell DVD Upgrade

C

codyman

Hi.... I have an iBook G3 "ClamShell" 300 mhz. I have MacOS 9.2.2 and I want to add a dvd drive to my iBook INTERNALLY. What dvd drives are compatible? I browsed eBay and found a Toshiba SD-C2302 that seems to be compatible, but what others can I use? Thanks :)

OP
L

lzasitko

dvd in 300mhz

codyman said:
Hi.... I have an iBook G3 "ClamShell" 300 mhz. I have MacOS 9.2.2 and I want to add a dvd drive to my iBook INTERNALLY. What dvd drives are compatible? I browsed eBay and found a Toshiba SD-C2302 that seems to be compatible, but what others can I use? Thanks :)

Will not work. The 300mhz clamshells only have a 4meg video built in where the clamshells that did come with built in dvd's had a 8meg video built in, Grphite SE DVD and Key Lime DVD were 466mhz, so as far as I know it will not work at all. Give the local Apple store a call, I am not sure if a external DVD would work but suspect it will not because of the 4 meg video.

Larry

OP
C

codyman

Are you sure? The "Apple DVD Player" program works all the way back to like Mac OS 8.5. I don't think many computers equaled or succeeded 4 Meg Video during the days of 8.5.

OP
L

lzasitko

dvd drives

codyman said:
Are you sure? The "Apple DVD Player" program works all the way back to like Mac OS 8.5. I don't think many computers equaled or succeeded 4 Meg Video during the days of 8.5.

All I know is what others have said or posted. Phone the local Apple store and ask, they should know for sure. All I know is that iDvd requires g4 733 min and 1024+ resolution. Other programs may work, I don't know but I thought the 4 meg video and speed were the big issues.

Larry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.