Turning off the power on sound.

Ben

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to turn off the trademark Apple sound when I'm first powering on my computer? I'm a university student and it's not very pleasing to other students while I'm in the library or class to turn on my notebook and make a loud bang. I know people should acknowledge I have a Mac, but I'm not that big of an attention *****. ;)

Thanks,
Ben.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
That sound is actually part of the "Start-Up" tests....

What you can do is:

Before you shutdown... turn the volume on all the way down...

The system tests the audio and uses the last volume set by the user. Turning the volume all the way down prior to shutdown should work for you.

Welcome the the forums Ben.

OP
B

Ben

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. I guess it was kind of newbie-ish of me not to do a search, but I found via macupdate.com that the program Psst will disable the startup chime without the need of adjusting the volume prior to every shut down.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
another way you can turn off the sound, if you forget to turn it off before you shut down, is to put some headphones into the output.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I believe you can also press/hold MUTE during start-up to accomplish the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
another way you can turn off the sound, if you forget to turn it off before you shut down, is to put some headphones into the output.

This doesn't work. Even if you have headphones in it will still chime through the speakers.

I just try and remember to hit F3 before I shut down. I usually keep my volume pretty low anyway so it isn't very loud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
This doesn't work. Even if you have headphones in it will still chime through the speakers.

I just try and remember to hit F3 before I shut down. I usually keep my volume pretty low anyway so it isn't very loud.

well it worked for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.