Question for all you Photoshop users

T

todd51

When you create a design from scratch do you draw it out first on paper and then scan it into your computer? Or do you just use the drawing tools in Photoshop? Just curious!:yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't draw with Photoshop. :black:
Despite what the popular opinions may be, that isn't really what Photoshop should be used for anyway.

I use Illustrator to draw on the computer and yes, I work everything out on paper before I touch the computer. I will sometimes scan the drawing in as a reference, but other times I just do it freehanded with Illustrator's tools. Sometimes a little bit of both.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i have drawn with photoshop, but much more often than not, i'm importing whole or partial images. i do also draw manually and scan or ghetto-scan (use digital camera) the image in.

Reaction score
I can't draw a crooked line without a crooked ruler and couldn't make a decent pattern without a Spirograph. I was mildly disappointed when I discovered Illustrator wouldn't magically turn me into Rembrandt.

In high school, two million years before Photoshop came along, an art assignment had me trying to draw anything with perspective, so my solution was the reverse of the original poster's question. I photographed the kitchen, and developed the film and made an 8 X 10 in my basement "darkroom." Then I traced the picture — and got away with it.

I hated art.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
:black: @ Brown Study.
Its okay, I'm not so good with Math and Science.
Art and Design is my thing.

You bring a good point though (and pardon me whilst I ramble off topic for a moment):
I discovered Illustrator wouldn't magically turn me into Rembrandt.
While your comment was likely made in jest, many people actuallly do believe that a software program is going to automatically make them a "graphic designer" or an "artist". Too many people think that is all they need to pursue a career in design. It takes a lot more than a computer and an array of Adobe applications to be an artist or designer. Those things are only tools. It would be no different if I went out and bought a huge tool closet full of wrenches and drivers and decided that I would become an auto mechanic. I know nothing about cars and I would never be able to simply buy the tools and expect to excel at auto repair without any sort of training, dedication, or skill. It takes time, learning, and talent to start a career in art or design. There is no "cool design" button in any of those apps that you can click and turn a poor to mediocre idea into the greatest design ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
While your comment was likely made in jest, many people actuallly do believe that a software program is going to automatically make them a "graphic designer" or an "artist". Too many people think that is all they need to pursue a career in design. It takes a lot more than a computer and an array of Adobe applications to be an artist or designer. Those things are only tools. It would be no different if I went out and bought a huge tool closet full of wrenches and drivers and decided that I would become an auto mechanic. I know nothing about cars and I would never be able to simply buy the tools and expect to excel at auto repair without any sort of training, dedication, or skill. It takes time, learning, and talent to start a career in art or design. There is no "cool design" button in any of those apps that you can click and turn a poor to mediocre idea into the greatest design ever.

that is 100% true, many people over look that. To the OP I almost always work things out on paper first, then scan it and work from the scan. The only times I dont work from paper first is when im dealing with just type, then ill start on the computer.

Reaction score
You're right. Pen and Photoshop, they're only tools. It takes the mind to be an artist or designer. Some people are better with pen and paper, some are better with a computer, doesn't matter. But it really amazes me that some people can draw a fabulous picture just with photoshop/illustrator with a graphic tablet. I found the graphic tablet hard to use because the surface is so slippery. So I seldom draw with photoshop, I either draw it manually then scan it or use photos. BTW, is there a way to add some feel to using the graphic tablet or are there special skills? I'm glad if someone experienced with a graphic tablet could share some thoughts.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*
While your comment was likely made in jest, many people actuallly do believe that a software program is going to automatically make them a "graphic designer" or an "artist".*Snip*

That's why we see so many crappy designs, webpages, ads, etc. And this competition means the real designers have to lower their bid/prices/wages/submissions. :blind:

Reaction score
It takes vision' to be a graphic designer. Once that's in place the possibilities using Illustrator and Photoshop are unlimited. Seems to me an awful lot of people "borrow" art or photos and enhance those images in Photoshop and call themselves an artist/designer. Not the case. Plagiarism in the design world is an every day event not saying it's right just sayin''...

Reaction score
I do both. I am a graphic design student and my professor makes me draw things out before we touch the computer. My professor puts it as you are not limited to just the program when you draw things out and you are not limited to what you already know.

If that makes since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lime Green iMac G3 64mb ram, 20gb hdd, 400mhz G3 processor
My process: Draw on paper, scan, outline in Illustrator, color, shade and add effects in Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.33GHz 2GB
:black: @ Brown Study.
Its okay, I'm not so good with Math and Science.
Art and Design is my thing.

You bring a good point though (and pardon me whilst I ramble off topic for a moment):

Fantastic point!
I think too often people look at "design" as a computer based field, in the sense that all you need is to be Adobe savvy or what not, which IS very important. But to really succeed, you also need to be able to be an artist and portray ideas in mediums such as graphite and ink.

As you so nicely put, they are just tools in order to accomplish the 'artists' designs, not to magically create them at the click of a button!

:black:
~zzMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.