Power Mac G4 RAM Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB
I just want to make sure that I didn't get ripped off. I just bought a 128MB PC100 chip of RAM from someone and it is identical to the two I have that came factory loaded in my Powermac G4 AGP graphics. In my Powermac, I have two 128MB chips and they work fine. But when I added this third identical chip, I get a boot error when I power the system on. When I called the guy back, he said that these RAM chips only work in pairs. Now I've personally never experienced this issue with any PC100/133 RAM, but I just wanted to ask before I start pointing fingers. When I say this is identical, I mean it is the exact chip, company, everything. Thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB
Thanks Martin. I think that article tells me that I was ripped off. I figured as much, but I just wanted to ask before I pointed fingers. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Yeah, although that RAM should work as it's acceptable for your G4, but it must meet these requirements:

PC-100 Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
3.3 volt
64-bit wide, 168-pin module
Maximum of 16 memory devices on the DIMM
Unbuffered; do not use registered or buffered Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
Maximum height of 2.0 inches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.