Advice on how to have a clean organized desktop?? HELP!

Reaction score
My desktop is so cluttered because i dont know where to put certain files after downloading them..

heres an example:

1.) i download firefox..

2.)
it leaves a ".dmg" file on my desktop

3.) after clicking on the dmg file i am prompted to drag an icon into my applications folder..ok done

4.) i am able to run firefox..and i have a copy of the file in my applications folder..

5.) HOWEVER i am now left with a little firefox icon (looks like a smooth white harddrive icon) on my desktop.....is there any way to get rid of this?

ive tried moving it to my trashbin and deleting it but it keeps puting itself back up on my desktop everytime i open the firefox program!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums MacNewbie!!!

When you download an application you will see a .dmg on your desktop... double-click to open that (some auto-open to a new window).. a new window will open, and you will see the application Icon and probably a "Read Me" file. Simply click/hold on the application Icon and DRAG it to the Applications Folder. Now, close the window that still has the application Icon and the "read Me" file... now click/Hold the .dmg, and drag it to the trash.

Now go into the Applications Folder, and find the Icon you are looking for... Double-click to open the application, it will probably go through an initial install, then... you're done, all set.

Let us know if this helps or if you have any questions

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums MacNewbie!!!

When you download an application you will see a .dmg on your desktop... double-click to open that (some auto-open to a new window).. a new window will open, and you will see the application Icon and probably a "Read Me" file. Simply click/hold on the application Icon and DRAG it to the Applications Folder. Now, close the window that still has the application Icon and the "read Me" file... now click/Hold the .dmg, and drag it to the trash.

Now go into the Applications Folder, and find the Icon you are looking for... Double-click to open the application, it will probably go through an initial install, then... you're done, all set.

Let us know if this helps or if you have any questions

Hi Yes, thanks for ur reply

i know how to install the program and everything..
that is all fine.

my problem is... that the "dmg" icon (it looks liek a smooth white harddrive) is left on my desktop...and even after deleting it

it keeps placing itself back on my desktop whenever i open the program that is associated with..

for example...

the firefox browser..installed it everything is fine..have a copy of it in my applications folder....held/dragged the remaining dmg file from desktop into trash..emptied trash...great everyting is fine

however when i open the firefox program again i can see that it places the DMG icon BACK onto my desktop .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Make sure you follow the directions in my above post word for word... I think what you have in your applications folder IS the .dmg. So when you double click it, it "mounts" the .dmg on the desktop.

M

MacHeadCase

When you doubleclick on a .dmg, you know you get the white mounted disk icon. When you open (doubleclick) that mounted disk icon is what you have to drag to the Applications folder.

Below in the screengrab, what is in the blue circle is what needs to be dragged to the Applications folder...

DMG.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Here ya go:

Short YouTube video:

Reaction score
And here's a graphic showing the procedure. After dragging the icon into the Applications folder, you can close and eject the disk image and drag the .dmg file to the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The problem is that the icon in your Dock is still connected to the file in the trash. So whenever you launch Firefox, it launches the version in your trash, not the copy in your applications folder.

Drag the icon out of the dock and let go, it should disappear. Then launch drag the firefox application in your applications folder into your dock to create a new (correct) shortcut.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.