Just bought Macbook, now what?

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
I just bought a refurb. macbook (white, with the 80gb HD and 1gb ram) from the Apple Store online. This will make my third mac computer and tenth Apple Product.

Do you think it will be good for my needs? I posted a thread about which I should get and I decided on the macbook because I had 1400$ spare and it fit in my budget (I didn't see any refurb mbp 15" today). I plan to dual boot XP on it using Boot Camp and install Oldblivion so I can run Oblivion (I have an x360 I just like using the mods on the computeR). Does anyone know if the crappy graphics card in the MB (no offense) will handle Morrowind, though? I'd really like to install that as it was my favorite game. What about GTA (3,4, or 5)?

I don't game much and the MB will be used for Word, Surfing wirelessly during class (hehe), some real player, etc. I still have my iMac G5 for photoshop and such (For now, I might sell it).

Do you think the MB can handle that well? In XP? In Rosetta? How long do you think the MB will last in year length?

I also bought a case for it off of Amazon :D.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good luck on the new macbook!

i'd suggest doing your gaming on the imac. the macbook is much better suited to life as a traveling and couch companion for movies, music, web browsing, and photo stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
the macbook can definitely handle that...it can handle pretty much anything except heavy gaming due to the graphics card...i would play ur GTA on the iMac rather than the 'book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
He can't do the gaming on the iMac, as stated by the intent to run Windows XP via bootcamp. I'm not sure that you will have too much sucess with heavy gaming, although games that may be a couple of years old or lighter on the graphics should be fine.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well ,maybe not the games he mentioned, but he'll have better luck with the gaming experience as a whole on the imac, just with ppc games. ;)

and the added benefit, no messing with windows!

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pshaw, PPC games! So much fun, I could write books about the things me and this G5 have do--- er... nevermind *Walks Away*

So there is no hope for GTA3 on the MB even on low? :D

Is there anything else I need to buy for the MB now? I'm thinking of buying either an external or portable HD to share between computers for files, ya know? I'm a novel writer so having character sheets, plot outlines, and actual files would be GREAT! :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
GTA3, Vice City & San Andreas play perfectly fine on my Core Duo mini with the same Video as the Macbook. There are others here on Mac Forums who have tried the GTA series and agree they are very playable. Bootcamp with XP SP2. Now Doom 3 is a different story. Those games though should be at least quite playable, for sure the GTA's as I LOVE GTA III, Vice City and the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
GTA San Andreas run well enough on the MB... you experience a hint of slowdown every now and then, but it's fine IMO.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You two just made my day tonight/this morning!
Orgy? Jk lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
Is there anything else I need to buy for the MB now? I'm thinking of buying either an external or portable HD to share between computers for files, ya know? I'm a novel writer so having character sheets, plot outlines, and actual files would be GREAT! :D

well, if you havent bought Microsoft office, ur gonna want that. and all of that stuff u mentioned seems to be all smallish files, so i would suggest like a 2 gb flash drive rather than a bulky external hard drive.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Jer's Novel Writer on PPC because it is made for novels but I don't know if it's Universal, yet. I was a big fan of the free office suites on the G3. I plan on using Open Office until Word becomes Universal though. I used OO when I went through my Linux Phase...

Thanks though.

Yeah, pretty small files except when I take photos for ideas or locations/characters and when I do high-quality maps and portraits you know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.