Ethernet Priority over Airport?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM
So on my old windows machine this was easy as pie, but I cant seem to figure it out on this Mac. I even tried setting up "Locations" or whatever, but maybe I did that wrong. Here is my goal/situation:

At work I connect via ethernet (even though wireless is available, I dont want to use it). When I am connected via ethernet I use a static IP address.

Any other time I connect via wireless, with a DHCP address.

The problem is this, I want ethernet to take priority. If I plug in an ethernet cable, I want wireless to automatically shut off, and my ethernet connection with my static IP to take over. As soon as the ethernet is unplugged I want the wireless to take over and grab a DHCP address. How do I accomplish this on my MBP?

Thanks for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.

T

todd51

I usually just shut off my Airport whenever I am connected through my ethernet port, then whenever I go mobile, I just turn it back on.

EDIT: I don't know if this helps any, I may be WAY off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In you Network Preferences, you can drag your connection types to the order in which you would like them to connect. Just click on the Network icon in your System preferences, and then choose "Network Port Configurations" from the 'Show' drop down menu:
Picture1-1.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM
Thank you! It works and I appreciate the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.