• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

eyetv hybrid questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM
hi. i'm strongly considering getting an eyetv hybrid for my macbook pro, such that i can have two DVRs (already have a tivo). as such, i'm looking for some feedback about it.

firstly, i'm looking for any general feedback, such as video quality, ease of use, etc..

secondly, and perhaps more importantly, i'm wondering about using it with a portable. let's say, for an example, i have it set up to record a program on a saturday night, but then i decide on a whim to go to nyc on friday, and i take my mbp with me. what is going to happen? obviously, it won't record, but is it something simple like "sorry, your program didn't record," or is it a bigger issue, such as "your whole schedule is screwed -- thanks for playing?"

and finally, if i'm sitting there working on my computer when it's time for it to record, does it work smoothly in the background, without affecting what i'm doing?

i really appreciate it, and thanks in advance.

blair cerny | sf.ca

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops

sorry. i think i posted this under the wrong topic. i've since moved it to "other hardware and peripherals."

apologies.

blair cerny | sf.ca

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This is an okay forum for this, as it deals with video.
You will also find the majority of all the threads on EyeTV here in the "Movies and Video" forum

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, cool. thanks, D3v1L80Y.

(of course, now it's double posted. sigh. maybe you could, uh, you know -- help a brother out? friendly moderator? thanks.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess I need to start playing with my EyeTV hybrid since I have one. Have been letting my PC fullfill that duty until I got a external FW drive for my MBP.

Will be doing some testing on another issue this weekend. Will try doing a couple of the things you suggest and post back.

Of course, if any one knows, post away. I am really curious myself about recording a HD program while playing, say WoW, at the same time with these C2D's. On my P4, you don't really want to be doing anything except maybe a little light browsing while recording and definitely nothing else while encoding.

Reaction score
I have the hybrid and it works great except for every great once in a while it will lock up, but that is not very often. It makes a great DVR companion. I have an HD Dish DVR also. Quality is very good and I have had absolutely no problems with the DVR feature running in the background while I use other programs. I have a 17" iMac with the 2GHz Core 2 Duo and 1 GB of RAM. It's also nice to be able to have a small little window with TV going while I am surfing the net. I would definately buy the eyeTV Hybrid again if I had it to do all over again. Hope this helps.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that helps a ton, bryanduke1! couple more reviews like that and i'm gonna get it! thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.