help me troubleshoot B&W image won't work in DW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I'm trying to put a B & W image in DW, and it shows in DW, but not in the browser. I just see an "X" or ? in the browser. I resized it, so I know it's small enough. I can't see anything different in the code vs. the other images I've put in the same site. I tried a brand new page/file in DW, same problem. Are B&W images different?

TIA,

Reaction score
I'm trying to put a B & W image in DW, and it shows in DW, but not in the browser. I just see an "X" or ? in the browser. I resized it, so I know it's small enough. I can't see anything different in the code vs. the other images I've put in the same site. I tried a brand new page/file in DW, same problem. Are B&W images different?

TIA,

The colors of the picture doesn't matter in Dreamweaver. In Dreamweaver you have to create a site folder within the program so it can keep track of your files. If you have an html file in "Web Site 1" folder and your picture is in "My Pictures Folder," dreamweaver will link the picture to the My Pictures folder and it won't be viewable from the web.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The colors of the picture doesn't matter in Dreamweaver. In Dreamweaver you have to create a site folder within the program so it can keep track of your files. If you have an html file in "Web Site 1" folder and your picture is in "My Pictures Folder," dreamweaver will link the picture to the My Pictures folder and it won't be viewable from the web.

This is in my images folder within the site folder. All my other images are in there and working fine. Someone asked me if it was an RGB file. Which I think it is. Does that matter?

Reaction score
This is in my images folder within the site folder. All my other images are in there and working fine. Someone asked me if it was an RGB file. Which I think it is. Does that matter?

Would you be able to post the link to where the picture is on your site? I am guessing DW is getting confused in some way. Did you remember to upload the picture to the server?

RGB shouldn't matter. What is the file type (ex. gif, jpg, png)?

Reaction score
Here is the image location: http://www.ctultimatealumni.com/images/UConn Frisbee 70 #1.jpg

#1 rule of web design never have spaces or #(unless it's an anchor) in the paths.

I would rename your picture like http://www.ctultimatealumni.com/images/UConnFrisbee70.jpg and get an FTP program and use that instead of DW FTP. I have noticed that DW's FTP program screws things up when it syncs.

See if that works. If not delete the picture from your site, rename it and put it the renamed vers back in your /images folder and then insert it into DW.

Edit: You could mess with the "document root" and "site root" options in your site's DW folder also and see if that helps any.

Keep me updated.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the image location: http://www.ctultimatealumni.com/images/UConn Frisbee 70 #1.jpg

#1 rule of web design never have spaces or #(unless it's an anchor) in the paths.

I would rename your picture like http://www.ctultimatealumni.com/images/UConnFrisbee70.jpg and get an FTP program and use that instead of DW FTP. I have noticed that DW's FTP program screws things up when it syncs.

See if that works. If not delete the picture from your site, rename it and put it the renamed vers back in your /images folder and then insert it into DW.

Edit: You could mess with the "document root" and "site root" options in your site's DW folder also and see if that helps any.

Keep me updated.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I reopened and resaved the image and presto it worked fine. I think the first time I had mucked with it in PS and messed it up. I might have been the one to add the "#" to it and as you pointed out caused the problem. Thanks for the tip I will keep sharp eye out for blanks and "#" in paths from now on. I really appreciate it!

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.