keyboard problems

Reaction score
I've had my new Imac for about 2 months, and I'm having problems with the keyboard. Certain keys keep repeating, though I'm a good typist and have never had this problem before. It happens even if I turn 'repeat' off in system preferences. I've even had the keyboard replaced by Apple, but this problem persists. I understand that this is an issue with the Imac. Is there a solution? Will a wireless keyboard solve this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
have u tried plugging the keyboard in all the different USB ports on ur iMac? and try running a hardware scan and repair disk permissions..

OP
O
Reaction score
have u tried plugging the keyboard in all the different USB ports on ur iMac? and try running a hardware scan and repair disk permissions..

I'll try this, but I have no idea why this would make a difference. Surely the problem is in the keyboard? Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Onno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
As far as I know you don't have to use an Apple keyboard. If after you have done the above you still have the problem. Try a non Apple keyboard to see if that helps

OP
O
Reaction score
I could buy a non-Apple keyboard. But why isn't Apple fixing this problem? My computer is only a couple of months old. In every other way it is brilliant and I'm very happy with it. But multiple repeating keys is a serious annoyance, and there's clearly a real problem here. I wish it were being addressed some way by Apple.

Onno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I suggest not buying a new keyboard but surely you could borrow one to see if the keyboard is the source of your problem

If it's only a few months old Ring Apple get another new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Are you up to date? One of the software updates fixed keyboard problems a while back.

What software is the problem occurring in? Everything?

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes, I am up to date. Auto update is on, and I've tried manually updating as well. Is there a specific patch I should look for?

The problem occurs in just about every program, so far as I can tell--Word, Eudora, Safari.

Thanks,
Onno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
as others have said check the keyboard in another USB port or try a different keybored. if not ring apple or take it in.,

M

MacHeadCase

Yes that keyboard is still under warranty so take it back to Apple and ask for a replacement.

I think others suggested to try another keyboard to see if the problem lies with the USB port or with the keyboard, not that you buy a new one to replace the seemingly faulty one that came with your Mac.

It's just a basic troubleshooting procedure, eliminating hardware components and stuff. :girl:

OP
O
Reaction score
I've replaced the keyboard already, and the problem persists, as I said in my initial post. This is why I'm confused. It could be a persistant keyboard problem, or a software problem. I've tried different USB ports. I've turned off the repeating key feature in system preferences. None of this makes any difference. Has anybody else had this problem? Has anyone else solved it?

Thanks,
Onno

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my new iMac 24". It seems like it's a physical property of the keyboard to me, as if the keys wobbles slightly, making contact twice when you really push the button only once. Or something. I thought I'd get used to it, but... maybe not?

Reaction score
If you want an alternative to the Apple keyboard the Macally IceKey is excellent. It has scissor-switch keys with very little travel, and is a joy to use. It doesn't come in wireless flavour, but is well worth that extra cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.