• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New iMac design?

Reaction score
I really want the 24" i mac but just know the (chin?) at the bottom of the monitor will really bother me, having to look up to see the top of the screen. I think it would be better if they put the computer works in the back of the monitor like the new Sony Vio (sp?) does. Is there any chance they might do that in the future?
I know I could get the mac pro but can't afford that and having to buy a monitor on top of the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I really want the 24" i mac but just know the (chin?) at the bottom of the monitor will really bother me, having to look up to see the top of the screen. I think it would be better if they put the computer works in the back of the monitor like the new Sony Vio (sp?) does. Is there any chance they might do that in the future?
I know I could get the mac pro but can't afford that and having to buy a monitor on top of the system.

chin?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=C1211F78&nclm=iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
the iMac's chin is the part where the Apple logo is. Nobody is really sure when iMac will be updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
weird.. I never had an issue with it when I had my imac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I didn't really either - but we aren't the OP. Like many things, it boils down to personal preference.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks guys

A lot of people set their monitor up on something to make it higher. I set mine on the desk because I like it low. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and bifocals and it
bothers me to have to look up too high.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Guess it depends on your set up. My 20" is even with my eyes when I'm sitting at my desk. I don't look up at all. Maybe you need to adjust your desk or chair. I don't even notice the bottom part with the apple logo on it, it's just there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Guess it depends on your set up. My 20" is even with my eyes when I'm sitting at my desk. I don't look up at all. Maybe you need to adjust your desk or chair. I don't even notice the bottom part with the apple logo on it, it's just there.

Yea same, however if you think it's going to annoy you then defiantly don't get it. Noting worse than having to put up with a product for the next couple of years that you don't like.

Or Why not get a 24" Monitor with a Mac Mini? Dell Monitors are meant to be quite good :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I personally think the "chin" makes it look really slick...

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I don't think the mac mini is powerful enough. I love the 24" but the top of the screen would be too high I think.

Reaction score
I found my 20-inch Cinema Display too low for my preferences. The 20-inch iMac is just right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm also not a fan of the iMac because of the "chin"

I like things to be very clean and minimal and I feel the same abut flat panel TV's that have a lot of "stuff" around the outside. Like speakers; who needs speakers on a nice TV like that? If you have the $$ for get the nice big crean, chances are you're not going to cheap out on sound and get a surround sound system. The speakers are usually a cheap afterthought that needs to be left out.

That aside, I just like to see only what I need to see. Everything else should be out of sight. Most of all, it detracts from the size of the screen. To have that big area just for a logo, as someone mentioned, seems a little lame, corporate greed-ish and in bad taste. I know Apple has the ability to do what is suggested, so why not?

Anyway, my 2 cents.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks all, I agree with fleurya

I would get the mac pro with a regular monitor if I could afford it. Until then I may have to stick with Dell. (as much as I would hate to.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
I would get the mac pro with a regular monitor if I could afford it. Until then I may have to stick with Dell. (as much as I would hate to.)

well then why not get say.... a macbook and a dell display? what will you be using the computer for? if its just normal everyday use, a Mac Pro is really not necessary (unless of course your normal everyday use is video and photo editing, or the like...)

OP
P
Reaction score
that would not work for me.

I don't really want a laptop. I want a desktop computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I still think you need to get creative with your set up rather than trying to use a certain type screen or worry with the "chin." Look at some of the desktop set ups posted on another thread on this forum to get idea what is available. Customize it to make it work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I have a macbook with a 22 inch viewsonic monitor and external bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I close my macbook's lid and voila, it's a mac desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have to secvond the laptop idea. I have an MBP that I probably use 80% at my desk. I just slip it onto the keyboard tray of my desk, plug in the monitor, speakers and USB hub, and slide it away. It's so nice to have it put away and unseen and just pull it out whenever I need to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.