AIFF to MP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Okay, there was a similar thread to this, but when I add it to iTunes and do the "Convert to MP3" my song goes completely slow!

Basically I'm making a couple mixes from Soundtrack and it saves it as an AIF file but I want it into an MP3 file w/ out loss of quality.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
What do you mean by your song going completely slow? You mean it imports slowly, or the actual speed of the song slows down?

F

faketrout

mp3 = loss in quality my friend. if you can help it, keep your stuff in AIF.

I seem to recall a free aif->MP3 i downloaded from cnet that runs in OS9. When I get home I'll throw up a link, because that seemed to work fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
iTunes will convert it for you to burn an MP3 cd.

Jerry

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
muso said:
What do you mean by your song going completely slow? You mean it imports slowly, or the actual speed of the song slows down?

The song itself slows down. Converting the song doesn't take that long.

I don't mind little loss in quality, I just want to be able to send over the internet, I mean, the thing nos is 118MB!!!! And it's only a 3.5min song!

Any help would be much apreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
sKaD said:
I mean, the thing nos is 118MB!!!! And it's only a 3.5min song!
Any help would be much apreciated!
That is way to big - I think the problem is in a missing compression step. Is there an Edit option you can use before the conversion to MP3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Check your options in preferences : importing : custom. What are the settings there?

I don't know how or why iTunes slows the song down... the tempo is actually slower?

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Yeah, it actually goes slower, it goes from 3.5min to 5.5min and the tempo is slower..

Maybe I'm not saving it right out of soundtrack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
That's very weird... I have no idea why it's doing that. All I can suggest is check both the export options in soundtrack and the import options to make sure there's nothing weird. Import mp3s at a minimum of 192kbps if you want decent quality.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I hate it set to 320, so the quality should be fine :-/

*sigh* I just don't know :(

R

RobDreugan

Try doing this with another song and see if yer having the same problems.

There should be no problem doing this as long as you've set yer import settings correctly. I've done this more times than I can count and have never had a problem.

At least try another song and see if it continues to the be problem; my guess is that you've just got a setting in itunes wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.